cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

D6 Mk 2 1st picture issue

BrianL
Contributor

I have a new D6 mk2 plus a Canon 70-300 USM and a 24-105 lens - both the cheaper black canon lenses.

At first the 1 st picture was black even though the shutter fired and all metadata was correct - the 2nd picture was perfect - same metadata. Same thing happens with BOTH lenses and a change of SD cards as well.  Has latest firmware installed.

Now the first picture is either black or 1 stop darker.

Does anything has the same issue of is this a problem with the D6 - its under warranty so any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Brian

18 REPLIES 18

For sure but the body is expensive and i'm not in a financial position to do that unfortunately !

BrianL
Contributor
Tried 3 different kinds of SD cards all well known makes. No luck. On camera the screen is black but also on the card and PC. I’m tearing my hair out. Do you think this is faulty ?

It doesn't sound like it is taking the picture. At any rate you can not trust it.  Where did you buy it?  A local store should replace it without hesitation.  If an on-line retailer like B&H, Adorama, Roberts, etc. you can have a new one sent over night or 2-day, 3-day shipping.

ANother option you might be able to rent one. They also offer fast shipping. Plenty of time. Sorry but that is where you are at now.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

BrianL
Contributor
Many thanks for the empathy. You are quite right it looks like I’ll need to return it. That’s life but thanks again for your help. It’s solidified my decision to return it

BrianL
Contributor
Thanks for replying. No dust data has never been set. However sensor clean works on power up and power down so I’ve switched this off and see what happens.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
Did you say this only happens right after you change lenses? Turn off power when you change lenses.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

BrianL
Contributor
No it’s happens overnight when the camera has been off for a while. It’s sporadic in nature. Sometimes being a full couple of stops darker and sometimes almost exact with the 2nd picture. It happens no matter what lens is used and even resetting the settings back to factory didn’t help. I’m thinking it’s software related and needs to be returned !

OK - UPDATE

Sent Cameraoff to Canon UK repair centre.  Had a chap called Naimesh Patel who could not have been more helpful.  He phoned me on a daily basis with an update on the repair situation.  Majot KUDOS to Mr Patel

The sum and total was a faulty shutter.  Canon repalced it and recalibrated the whole camera.  I now have it back and it is better than brand new.  KUDOS to Canon UK !

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply with suggestions - I'm a very grateful 70 years old who hopes to take many pictures with this camera !

Thanks for taking the time to post the outcome of your situation. It doesn't get any better than that and too often, I suspect, these things get resolved and we never hear about it.

Also, "WOOT-WOOT!" to Mr. Patel, wherever he may be.

Announcements