cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

D6 Mk 2 1st picture issue

BrianL
Contributor

I have a new D6 mk2 plus a Canon 70-300 USM and a 24-105 lens - both the cheaper black canon lenses.

At first the 1 st picture was black even though the shutter fired and all metadata was correct - the 2nd picture was perfect - same metadata. Same thing happens with BOTH lenses and a change of SD cards as well.  Has latest firmware installed.

Now the first picture is either black or 1 stop darker.

Does anything has the same issue of is this a problem with the D6 - its under warranty so any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Brian

18 REPLIES 18

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
You might try resetting the camera back to factory defaults.

That problem sounds very odd. But it sounds like a feature I have never enabled. There is a setting that will retain the same exposure settings when you change lenses. It is useful when shooting video

But I do not see how that feature could cause a totally black exposure. Except, of course, it is your lens cap.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Many thanks for the quick reply. Tried setting back to defaults - no luck. Lens cap off LOL. Baffled - going on holiday in 7 days and don't want to be without the camera !

For curiosity, try using the depth of field preview button after it focuses and see if the lens is stepping down further initially than it should based upon what shows up in the EXIF data fromt he shot. 

Since it sounds like only your first photo in a sequence is bad, I would lean towards a software glitch.  I am assuming this is a 6D Mark II, correct?  After that first photo in a sequence, are the rest OK?  You may be using the high speed drive option a lot on Holiday if you can't get it fixed first 🙂

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Many thanks for the reply - before upgrading to F/W 1.0.4 the first picture was black.  Now its hit and miss whether the first is black or dull. Yes lens is stooping down OK - everything works perfectly except no picture.  Think when I come back this will need to go for repair which is annoying as its only a few weeks old ! But definately sounds like a fault ?

"...before upgrading to F/W 1.0.4 the first picture was black."

FW will not fix issue this but it could certainly screw it up. Does the photo show on the LCD screen?  If it does I would try another new high quality SD card.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Good....

I personally would not chance taking something unreliable on a trip, that might leave me without memories.  A "weeks old" camera (if new) should be replaced, not repaired.  Hope you get this resolved quickly.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Sorry I said 1 week old it should have been 6 weeks old so no replacement only repair ! but thanks again for the advice

Could something like this happen as a result of having the camera set to record "Dust Delete Data"?

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

6D2? <<<

Full reset

Changed the SD card (formatted in the body, correct)?

lens cap is off

What brand are the cards, same?  Full size or adapter?

Are you using any type of lens filters?

7 days is not much time.  If you purchased locally, I would take it to the retailer, demonstrate the issue and exchange.  If online, I'd buy a replacement body ASAP and deal with the return when I came home.   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements