cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custon button functions not working-6D Mark ii

hastingsml
Apprentice

I am setting functions for the back buttons.  I set the asterisk button to AE lock-hold.  When I push it the exposure only locks until I let go of the button.  This happens when I program this function to other buttons also.

Also, programmed a button for one shot-servo.  If I am in one shot it only switches to servo while I am holding the button.  I thought it would switch it to servo.

I updated the firmware just to be sure and that did not help anything.

5 REPLIES 5

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@hastingsml wrote:

I am setting functions for the back buttons.  I set the asterisk button to AE lock-hold.  When I push it the exposure only locks until I let go of the button.  This happens when I program this function to other buttons also.

This is expected and correct.  The button called "AE lock" is active after the exposure is set "locked", then can be activated again when the button is held down and a picture is taken.  When you release the button the camera will re-evaluate the exposure.  

Also, programmed a button for one shot-servo.  If I am in one shot it only switches to servo while I am holding the button.  I thought it would switch it to servo.  Once again expected, press te drive button and turn the dial to change the mode

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

AE Lock-hold is not the same as AE Lock.  AE Lock hold according to manual the exposure will be held until you push the button again and the asterisk will be shown in the viefinder.

There are three AE LOCK settings.  One releases immediately, one locks for a specified time and one locks until pushed again.  Mine releases when I release the button.  Trying to activate the other two.

Page 501 of the manual.

Thanls for clarifying..  taking a look.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@hastingsml wrote:

Also, programmed a button for one shot-servo.  If I am in one shot it only switches to servo while I am holding the button.  I thought it would switch it to servo.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with your camera.  The behavior of AE Lock changes with your AF mode.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

AE Lock and Hold Feature - Bing video

AF type switch is on page 500.

Screenshot 2021-03-11 143522.jpg

But, you can only program one feature to a button.

When I set AE-Hold on my 1D X Mark III and I am in One Shot mode the shutter button timer is deactivated and the exposure holds until I shut down or the Auto Power Off timer activates.

In AI Servo the AE-Hold feature does not activate. This makes sense to me since in AI Servo it is possible that exposure conditions would be changing as the primary subject and camera are moving to track the subject.  

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements