cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customizing dials and buttons on 5D Mark IV

crockny
Enthusiast

I had customized my buttons on my 5D Mark III to suit my shooting style.  You can customize the 5D Mark IV but I don't see a way to set it up the way I had the Mark III which is confusing if I go from one to the other.

On the Mark III I had the ISO on my Quick Control Dial - I don't see that option on the Mark IV - shooting birds in low light I usually have my aperture wide open and change my ISO as needed - the placement of the ISO button is awkward and annoying but I don't see any way to assign it to another one-touch button ... am I missing something?  I shoot handheld ...

S

10 REPLIES 10

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Page 496 of manual. Does this do what you want?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

That works for putting the ISO on the quick control dial but then I'm not seeing a way to put the Aperture on another dial ... I shoot in Manual mode.  Looks like Aperture and Shutter only have two options which means each has to be on one of those 2, I think.

I can put the Aperture setting back on the quick control dial and put the ISO on the AF area selection button - but it's not ideal and will still be confusing when going back to the Mark III.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
If the 5D3 had ISO on the control ring, then where was aperture. Your initial remark suggests that you do not adjust it because you always shoot wide open.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I had aperture on the AE lock button and used it with the Main Dial ... yes I do change aperture but am more likely to change ISO as the light fades and my aperture is already wide open ... I would think Canon would make it easy for Manual shooters to use one button or one easy to reach button plus Main Dial to change any aspect of the exposure triangle ... the ISO button is in a very awkward place.

S

The more recent camera bodies at the high end of the scale have introduced Exposure Compensation in Manual shooting mode. These camera bodies would include the 7D2, 6D2, and the 5D4.  

One approach that is gaining favor is shoot Manual with ISO Auto.  Aperture and Shutter are on the control ring and main dial respectively, but the [SET] button is programmed for Exposure Compensation. EC is adjusted by pressing [SET] and turning the Main Dial.

I saw that and I guess I will try it -- I'm using to changing my settings with a backlit background etc., not used to using Exp Comp. ... I only have used Auto ISO in more or less stable lighting conditions ...

S

@crockny wrote:

I saw that and I guess I will try it -- I'm using to changing my settings with a backlit background etc., not used to using Exp Comp. ... I only have used Auto ISO in more or less stable lighting conditions ...

S

Manual mode with ISO Auto is very handy for varying lighting conditions, especially when combined with EC.  I think someone should give it name, Exposure Priority.

@crockny wrote:

S

Adjusting the EC has the net effect being to manually raise and lower the ISO, while Av and Tv remain constant.

Yes I will give it a shot - I was just trying to set it up the same as the Mark III but I see that isn't going to work ...

Great camera though ... I'm liking it ...

S

Announcements