cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could someone have stolen my camera internal parts?

Zane
Contributor

I sent my 6D in for repair of my HDMI jack through Best Buy where I bought it. It came back fast almost too fast(within a week) for being in Alaska(everythings slow shipped here). I checked my S/N on the camera before I accepted it.

Anyway once I got it home a few weeks later I noticed overnight battery drain and numerous things on my menu were different like timezone, high iso noise reduction and numerous other "auto" modes which I never use. I then found in the copywrite info someone elses name!!! You dont change that to test the HDMI jack if you change it do you? I dont thnk so.

Im wondering if they took my camera and put my external body back over it? Anybody hear of this happening out there What to do if this happened? I think the company doing repair is called Precision Camera as they did my previous cleaning.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Zane,

"You shouldn't need to increment firmware. I suggest you send your camera in to Canon. They will check it all over, calibrate and install latest firmware."

This was and still is what you need to do.  If you screw up the firmware install, you might lock up the entire camera and turn it into an expensive brick.  A pretty nice brick but a brick none the less!  Send it to Canon CPS.

I did that once, trying to update the firmware on an XTi. Since the camera was still under warranty, Canon treated it as a warranty repair and fixed it for free. I wasn't a CPS member at the time, but it's one of the reasons I became one.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Does the serial number in the EXIF data match the serial number on the camera?

Good point Ill ck that concept! Thanks.

I checked previous and after repair exif data. The serial numbers do match BUT the Firmware version is different. previous was 1.1.4 and the after repair firmware version was 1.1.3!!!! How does it go backwards right? Off to Best Buy and try to explain this to them. Hope I get someone w a concept!lol

Zane,

The important question is, does it work now? I doubt seriously just a HDMI port can be replaced.  It is likely a sub assembly.  It is possible they did use a parts body to repair it. Especially if it was done under a BB warranty.  Never, never purchase one!  They are nearly worthless.

You might want to cut your loses and just send it to Canon.  They won't like it that somebody else did repairs but it will be fixed correctly.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Zane,

The important question is, does it work now? I doubt seriously just a HDMI port can be replaced.  It is likely a sub assembly.  It is possible they did use a parts body to repair it. Especially if it was done under a BB warranty.  Never, never purchase one!  They are nearly worthless.

You might want to cut your loses and just send it to Canon.  They won't like it that somebody else did repairs but it will be fixed correctly.

They installed a subassembly from a used camera and couldn't be bothered to apply the latest firmware rev or even delete the previous owner's copyright notice?? That sure seems to support Ernie's opinion of aftermarket warranties.

Bob

Yep according to BB thats exactly the reply the got from Precision camera in Connecticut. Im not impressed. Im now having problems trying to update the 1.1.6 firmware, Im thinking I may need to install the 1.1.4 first any ideas? Oh and I got the CPS Gold set up and will forever send my stuff direct!!! Lesson learned and passed on to others as much as I can!!!!

Zane,

"You shouldn't need to increment firmware. I suggest you send your camera in to Canon. They will check it all over, calibrate and install latest firmware."

This was and still is what you need to do.  If you screw up the firmware install, you might lock up the entire camera and turn it into an expensive brick.  A pretty nice brick but a brick none the less!  Send it to Canon CPS.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Zane,

I did that once, trying to update the firmware on an XTi. Since the camera was still under warranty, Canon treated it as a warranty repair and fixed it for free. I wasn't a CPS member at the time, but it's one of the reasons I became one.

Bob

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

"I sent my 6D in for repair of my HDMI jack through Best Buy where I bought it. "

I'm no fan of the Big Blue Box store.  Some of them seem to have quality control and/or security issues with big ticket items.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements