cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corrupted images captured by new 5D Mark III

Supratimart
Contributor

Hi,

I got two corrupted images while shooting with my new 5D Mark III..I was using 45mbps sandisk extreme SD card and the mode was only JPEG(fine). After getting two corrupted images I shoot 1k images but no problem there after..Later I copied those images in my HDD except two corrupted images all are looked nice.. My y question is what was the actual problem?Thank you in advance..

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

I'd advise at least doing a quick in-camera format each time you insert a memory card (or right after downloading, if you use the USB cable to transfer your images).

The in-camera format preps the memory card for use, configuring it with some needed file structures and writing over old files.

If you ever format in computer, always re-format it in your camera before shooting. It's possible that the computer won't configure the card in a way that will work properly in the camera.

Usually corrupt images are due to card issue or connectivity when downloading. If you are seeing the corruption in the camera, then I'd first suspect the card (either it's faulty, or it's configured incorrectly, or something on there is causing a conflict).

I once corrupted a number of images on a Compact Flash by opening the memory card door and pulling the card out too quickly, while the last image or two were still being written. It corrupted about 1/3 of the images on the card, not just the last one taken. Initially all the images on the card were unreadable, until I ran a recovery program. That was able to repair about 2/3 of the images... roughly 200 out of 300 images, if I recall correctly.  

The worst corruption issue I've had (in ten years shooting digital almost exclusively, nearly 20 years shooting some digital), was due to connectivity issues. I had a card reader connected to a USB hub. Took it off the hub and connected it directly to the computer's USB port and the problem was solved.

It's possible, but pretty rare that the camera itself causes occasional corrupt files. Usually if the camera starts throwing off corrupted files, it's most or all images... not just an occasional one. I'd keep an eye on it and if it continues happening, try a different memory card first. If it continues to happen with a different card, have the camera looked at.

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

View solution in original post

If I am not wrong, low level format fixes bad sectors too on the SD card. CF cards don´t use low level format because they already do have a protection against bad sectors, or something like that.

A high level format just declares the media to be completely empty and sets up a blank file allocation table and directory.  

A low level format is *supposed* to test each block by writing to it, and verifying that it can read-back what it just wrote.  If a block fails, that block is supposed to be "mapped out" (it's marked as a bad block so that the camera will not attempt to use it.)

With that in mind... I always felt like a "low level" format is completed entirely too quickly considering that it's supposed to write to every block on the storage device.  I'm not convinced they actually do a real low-level format.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

8 REPLIES 8

Peter
Authority
Authority
Did you low level format your SD card before you used it?

Nope..I do never use low level format option.

I'd advise at least doing a quick in-camera format each time you insert a memory card (or right after downloading, if you use the USB cable to transfer your images).

The in-camera format preps the memory card for use, configuring it with some needed file structures and writing over old files.

If you ever format in computer, always re-format it in your camera before shooting. It's possible that the computer won't configure the card in a way that will work properly in the camera.

Usually corrupt images are due to card issue or connectivity when downloading. If you are seeing the corruption in the camera, then I'd first suspect the card (either it's faulty, or it's configured incorrectly, or something on there is causing a conflict).

I once corrupted a number of images on a Compact Flash by opening the memory card door and pulling the card out too quickly, while the last image or two were still being written. It corrupted about 1/3 of the images on the card, not just the last one taken. Initially all the images on the card were unreadable, until I ran a recovery program. That was able to repair about 2/3 of the images... roughly 200 out of 300 images, if I recall correctly.  

The worst corruption issue I've had (in ten years shooting digital almost exclusively, nearly 20 years shooting some digital), was due to connectivity issues. I had a card reader connected to a USB hub. Took it off the hub and connected it directly to the computer's USB port and the problem was solved.

It's possible, but pretty rare that the camera itself causes occasional corrupt files. Usually if the camera starts throwing off corrupted files, it's most or all images... not just an occasional one. I'd keep an eye on it and if it continues happening, try a different memory card first. If it continues to happen with a different card, have the camera looked at.

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

Hi Alan

Thanks for your words and sharing your experience.I do always in camera high level format and did never use low level format option.

I have been shooting digitally since the year of 2004 and  started shooting with canon from the year of  2009 with 5D mark II.

Apart from two corrupt images from my new 5d mark iii I did never face that kind of corruption issues before.That is why I was a bit surprised.

As far I can remember on the year of 2007 I got some courrpted images(Nikon D70s).But the images were corrupted in the HDD..I took good shots as my D70s LCD said..Then I copied on my HDD and opend Images(RAW File) via PS camera raw(Did not remember the actual version)..They were looked nice but later when I tried to reopen those images(RAW no JPEG)the error window came inside PS..That was my experience..One thing needs to be added.Just now I remembered The SD card which I was using on that time was a cheap Kingstone (class 4) SD card..After this case I have been toatly shifted to High speed Sd or CF cards(45mbps to 95mbps.After that I have not had any bitter experience.

Thanking you once again...

If I am not wrong, low level format fixes bad sectors too on the SD card. CF cards don´t use low level format because they already do have a protection against bad sectors, or something like that.

A high level format just declares the media to be completely empty and sets up a blank file allocation table and directory.  

A low level format is *supposed* to test each block by writing to it, and verifying that it can read-back what it just wrote.  If a block fails, that block is supposed to be "mapped out" (it's marked as a bad block so that the camera will not attempt to use it.)

With that in mind... I always felt like a "low level" format is completed entirely too quickly considering that it's supposed to write to every block on the storage device.  I'm not convinced they actually do a real low-level format.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Hi Tim

Thanks for your words about low level format and high level format..But in the case of low level format does a different manufacture use different process? (If I do use low level fomat with canon or nikon or other manufactures the formatting will be the same or different.)Because in case of high level format we all know that the recording media will be empty.

Thanks

Supratim Bhattacharjee

Thanks for your post Peter...

Announcements