cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corrupted Images from Canon 5D Mark iii

RHP16
Apprentice

Hey guys... I'm new to forum with this being my first post. I have been shooting for a few years now and have never encountered this issue. I'm not finding any help either on the web as hot to resolve this issue either.

When my Hoodman Steel 32GB CF card is in the card slot on the camera, the images look fine in preview mode. When I transfer them to my hard drive and look at the thumbnails on my Mac cpu the images look fine. It's when I try and open them with Camera Raw, Photoshop, Lightroom or any other photo editing software do they end up looking corrupted. Here are a couple of screenshots of how they are looking upon importing.

Screenshot 2015-03-23 18.08.38.png

Screenshot 2015-03-23 18.08.38.png

Any help to recover these images would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance and I look forward to sharing photography stories and shots in the future.

Ryan

| Canon 5D Mark iii | Canon 70-200mm L series | Canon 16-35mm L series |

6 REPLIES 6

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Ryan,

I imagine those are lost.  The CF card looks like it is corrupted.  I never heard of or have used that brand of CF card so I have no idea of its quality.

I suggest you get Sandisk or Lexar.  Also format it before each important shoot each time.  I also prefer 16GB cards.

It is possibile your computer did the damage so you might try a different computer.  Showing a photo on the camera's LCD monitor is no indicatition.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Ryan,

I imagine those are lost.  The CF card looks like it is corrupted.  I never heard of or have used that brand of CF card so I have no idea of its quality.

I suggest you get Sandisk or Lexar.  Also format it before each important shoot each time.  I also prefer 16GB cards.

It is possibile your computer did the damage so you might try a different computer.  Showing a photo on the camera's LCD monitor is no indicatition.

Thanks for the comments... I was actually able to retrieve them. I had recently updated to Yosemite and low and behold, that apparently was the culprit. I downloaded the new EOS 3 Utility that is reported to work with Yosemite and transfered the images straight out of my camera to my hard drive. Once I opened those images in Camera Raw everything checked out just fine. I'm guessing my card reader isn't compatible with Yosemite. Thanks again for responding.

Yes I suspected as much when you said it was a Mac.  This is one area you must be aware of going forward.  All Mac OSs do not get along well with some of the older stuff.  Glad it worked out well.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Yes I suspected as much when you said it was a Mac.  This is one area you must be aware of going forward.  All Mac OSs do not get along well with some of the older stuff.  Glad it worked out well.

It's weird... I haven't had an issue at all in the 3yrs I have had this camera. When Yosemite came out, it pretty much screwed everything up on my laptop. I should've known better than to make the switch immediately once it came out. Lesson learned.

I run Yosemite on five different Macs and don't have any problems.   I use the Lexar USB 3.0 dual slot reader (it has a CF slot and an SD slot ... and there are no drivers).

It seems like it was corrupted on copy.  Is your reader directly attached to a Mac USB port or are you using a USB hub?  I've had a LOT of flakey USB hubs until I finally settled on one particular Belkin hub that always worked flawlessly (naturally Belkin doesn't make that particular hub anymore <sigh>.)

Glad to hear you've got the images recovered.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

I'm plugged in directly to the USB port on my laptop. It's an older laptop and that's why I think Yosemite wasn't the best idea. As long as the images were recovered that's really all I'm concerned about right now. Thanks for the info about the Lexar. I'll have to check that one out.
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements