cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corrupted/Garbled RAW (CR2) file when shooting with my Canon 5D MKii to a Macbook using LR5...help!

timmonson
Apprentice

Screen Shot 2014-07-29 at 10.45.30 AM.pngScreen Shot 2014-07-29 at 10.46.14 AM.png

I am getting a Corrupted/Garbled RAW (CR2) file when shooting with my Canon 5D MKii. The corruption only seems to happen at the point that I save the file on my backup drive after processing in Lightroom...here is the order that I process my photos to give some background:

1. Shot in RAW in Camera and saved to various SanDisk and Transcend CF cards (30MB/s, 133x, 60MB/s) (no corruption yet)

2. Transferred via Transcent CF Card reader (TS-RDP8K) to Macbook file folder. (no corruption yet)

3. Copied files are then added into Lightroom 5 (without moving) after creating a new Catalog (no corruption yet)

4. Photos go through my standard Lightroom editing process (some photos I take into Photoshop and edit them there, some I do not...this leaves CR2's mixed with PSD files in the original file folder (no corruption yet)

5. I then copy the finished Catalog to an external harddrive (USB 3.0 WD My **bleep** Ultra 2 TB) (this is where the corruption finally shows up...the strange thing is that it is hit and miss...some Catalogs get corrupted while others are perfectly fine...the corruption only happens to the CR2 files not the PSD's)

6. My original thought was that this was being caused due to a bad cable, which could still be the issue but I've witnessed this happen on 2 different usb 3.0 cables. Perhaps the issue is tied in with the 3.0 USB? (I have also attached a screenshot after importing to Photomatix to show that the problem isn't just in the preview image but at the actual RAW CR2 level)

I have hundreds of garbled/corrupted CR2 files in my archive now with no apparent way to recover them...I need some help from someone! I haven't been able to find any other occurances of this online so any help or feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Oh, for any CR2 experts, here is a link to download my original CR2 file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nsfivvgrmyloa90/IMG_3440.CR2

21 REPLIES 21

"Canon really needs to sort this problem out, not Adobe, not Microsoft!"

It could be a Mac problem.  If you are on a Macbook, why would we think it a MS problem.  I don't have a 5D Mk II any longer but I do use DPP4 and DPP 3 on a Win box latest update, and see no problem.

I have used LR since there was numbers.

If you have acess to a Windoze machine, try it on Win 8.1.  I would bet it will work.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Canon really needs to sort this problem out, not Adobe, not Microsoft!"

It could be a Mac problem.  If you are on a Macbook, why would we think it a MS problem.  I don't have a 5D Mk II any longer but I do use DPP4 and DPP 3 on a Win box latest update, and see no problem.

I have used LR since there was numbers.

If you have acess to a Windoze machine, try it on Win 8.1.  I would bet it will work.

I'm hard-pressed to see it as a Mac problem. The Mac operating system is what it is, and the Canon software has to accept that. It's possible that the Mac's interface specs are deficient or that there's a bug in the Mac OS, but DPP should contain sufficient checks to allow it to maintain the integrity of its RAW files, no matter what the OS does. For example, it's OK if DPP can't manage to save an updated RAW file in a form the OS will accept, but not OK for it to save the file garbled.

But you're right; it can't be a Microsoft problem in this case.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Never-the-less I will not be surprised if it is a Mac OS issue.  No matter how it gets saved. I have wittnessed too many Mac/ software problems to be surprised to see another one.

EB

lensboard
Apprentice

I am familiar with this, and it has happened to me a few times. It has nothing to do with mac or windows. I own both and use both. Both have corrupted. I think it happens when dragging files via usb to another drive locally or on the network. Now I use rsync when moving weddings from my pc to my drobo on my mac, and have had no problem. If I just use the normal dragging method I get corruption (not every time). I think it has to do with the file transfer method. This has also happened with video, so it is not just canon raw files. I don't really know what is happening, but I always use rsync from mac to pc, and I always build previews after moving, and verify no corruption before deleting original.

DuaneIndeed
Contributor

See my other post:  http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS/5d-mk-III-RAW-issue/m-p/158284

This is a Canon Raw driver issue.   It started after I updated DPP and the EOS Utility this morning.  Now, DPP, Lightroom, and Photoshop are have the same issue!!!   Canon, please fix!!!!!

Greaat... So I'm googling stuff about corrupted files because I have RAW files that look exactly the same.  It started last week and I was using a brand new card.  I bought another brand new one and it did the same.  The thumbnails and jpegs are fine.  After a few minutes in LR, the RAWS start showing corrupt.  I'm getting about 1% corrupt. My cards are high-dolla and brand schpankin' new. I'm going to call my computer girl tomorrow to ask her about this. 

I shot an event last night with both my nikon and my canon.  I just put my canon's CF card into my Pixel flash no-bend pins to usb adapter. As always, I selected all the files with ctrl+A copied with ctrl+C and pasted to my big external hard drive with ctrl+V.  I then repeated this process to my second hard drive that is a bit smaller.  ( I use an annual hard drive and then a huge one that holds several year's work on it.) I then synchronized the file for dec 2015 in LR.  The thumb files looked fine.  I worked in LR a few minutes just to do some caparisons to figure out which files I would pull from Canon vs my Nikon. They have different strengths, you know. Then my thumbnails started converting to show corruption.  As it did last time, my jpegs are fine.  None of the Nikon files are corrupted.  Those were imported the same way, except they came from an SD card inserted directly into my laptop.  

The thing that makes me wonder about it being the hard drive going bad on my computer is that I have tried opening a corrupted RAW file in PS, (I knew it was corrupted from the LR view).  and I tried opening it two ways:  One from the annual hard drive.  The other from my big hard drive.  They are both corrupt and the blocky pattern is exactly the same.

It just seems to me, (a non-computer person) that if it was a hard drive issue, the other file wouldn't be corrupt the same way.  It would be more random?  But I'm not up on all that stuff.  

Here's another clue... I just tried putting my CF card into a brand new pixel flash card reader and plugged it directly into my laptop.  I went to ps and opened the same file, (directly this time.  I didn't copy it or save it.) that was corrupted before and it is just fine.   Things that make you go..hummm...  so maybe my old pixel flash card reader is buggy and I need to toss it?

I also just put the new pixel flash into my usb port expander that I used the first time.  I put my CF card in it.  I did the copy and paste thing and created a new file called "dec 2015 test".  I opened that in LR and the file that should be corrupted, isn't. 

I should also add, I have no idea what people are talking about when they say they have updated Canon DPP or whatever else.  I've never updated anything.  

Please share your thoughts! 🙂 Thank you! 🙂 

Update:  I just checked amazon's reviews on the "pixel flash usb 3.0 no-bend pins" and someone has posted a negative review with a picture of a corrupt picture file, (looks similar to mine).  The customer is complaining that it was a card reader issue.  

When the camera saves a "RAW" image, there are two images... one is a "preview" image (it's actually a JPEG embedded within the RAW" and then of course there is the RAW data itself.   

When the camera takes the image, what it initially gets is the RAW data (that's the data constructed by doing a read-out from the imaging sensor) and it will use this data to create the jpeg PREVIEW (if you are saving a RAW file) or it will use this data to create the JPEG if you are saving a JPEG (and JPEGs get the extra post-processing steps of setting things like white balance, picture style, etc.)  Ultimately all this gets written out to the memory card.

That means it is possible to that if there's a problem writing to the card, then the part of the file that contains the JPEG preview might not be corrupt, but if the RAW file could be corrupt elsewhere.  This would explain why an image opens and is fine... but only for a moment... and then shows corruption.

Duane's problem is different.  Duanne almost certainly has a filesystem issue (possibly a failing drive).  This is because in Duanne's situation... he had images shot some time back in history and those images were imported from the camera and were fine... remained on the filesystem... and then at a later date the images ultimately became corrupted (that's not a camera issue.)  (I personally had the same issue Duanne describes and my issue was, in fact, a failing hard drive.)

I've already sorted out (in the other thread) that Adobe doesn't use Canon's RAW de-mosaicing engine (in DPP) -- they use their own and you can open images in Photoshop or Lightroom even if you don't have any Canon software installed at all.  Installing Canon DPP wouldn't have any effect on Adobe software.

As for card readers... I use the Lexar USB 3.0 Dual-Slot reader and I have no issues with any of my Macs and also with any version of the operating system.   

Here's a link to that particular reader (at the Lexar website -- but you can find this reader available from lots of vendors):

[Mod note: Removed per FORUM GUIDELINES]

I more recently switched to a different reader which worked fine with Yosemite and then stopped working when I upgraded to El Capitan.  Correspondence with the company resulted in identifying a firmware fix for the reader and they sent their customers a new firmware file and instructions on how to update the firmware embedded within the reader -- and now it works fine.  I'm a bit hesitant to mention that brand because I don't think it's reliability is on par with the Lexar brand reader -- which seems to be quite solid.

Of course if you really do have a reader problem, then bypassing the reader by downloading the images via the USB cable connetction (connected directly to your computer and not via a USB hub) should get around the problem.  If you see the same problem when using the USB cable then it's improbable that the card reader is the culprit.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

"That means it is possible to that if there's a problem writing to the card, then the part of the file that contains the JPEG preview might not be corrupt, but if the RAW file could be corrupt elsewhere."

I really doubt this.  Think about it for a minute.

EB

I gave the answer already. It occurs in the file transfer. You can use a free SFV checker to conirm exact transfer. I do this when I have  a second shooter transfer at weddings. Once in a while there is corruption, and I catch it right there. Google SFV checker.

Also, try ans transfer outside of LR, then import into LR.

Sorry, lensboard.  I didn't mean to skim over your initial comment, it just went over my head.  I'm extremely non-techy, so I didn't know what sfv was.  I googled it and wiki'ed it, but I'm still looking for the handle on the cup.  

Announcements