cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corrupt Files - SanDisk - Lexar

WickedImagery
Apprentice

Ugh - help!  I've been shooting EOS for many years (5d - and then 5d mkII).  I have mostly Delkin memory cards - the last batch I bought were CF500x (a few years ago).  Never had a problem with any of my cards.

We have an event coming up so I wanted to purchase some additional cards.  I bought four SanDisk Extreme 32gig.  I tried them out at a shoot and about 90% of the pictures were corrupt (see attached image).  I worked through some trial and error with all of my lenses, bodies and cards and narrowed it down to those four new cards being the problem.

I was told by a friend to format the cards (I hadn't actually formatted them in a camera before using them).  I tried that - same result.  Because I needed additional cards, I rushed out and ordered four Lexar 1066x 16 gig cards to be sure I'm covered.

I just tested those cards - and got the same result!  What the hell?  I have no problems at all with any of my older Delkin cards (I have probably 20)....but all eight of the new cards from two different manufacturers had the same problem in all of my cameras.

What could be the issue?  Same problem on four cameras (Mk Is and MK IIs).  I'm wondering if it has to do with the speed of the cards (these cards are faster than any of my other cards).  Help!
Corrupt-1.JPG

6 REPLIES 6

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Perhaps a card reader problem? Can you try direct download from camera?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

diverhank
Authority

Since all of the new cards fail to work properly on your cameras which are older, it indicates compatibility issues.  Some of the older cameras probably cannot conceive that there can be 32GB or more on a card...also UDMA and stuff like that.  First thing I'd do is to update the firmware on the cameras.  Then if that still doesn't work, I'd be looking for older type cards for compatibility.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

5D Mark III is UDMA7 SDXC compatible right out of the box.

Mis-read the model number. Agree with checking firmware.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

@diverhank wrote:

Since all of the new cards fail to work properly on your cameras which are older, it indicates compatibility issues.  Some of the older cameras probably cannot conceive that there can be 32GB or more on a card...also UDMA and stuff like that.  First thing I'd do is to update the firmware on the cameras.  Then if that still doesn't work, I'd be looking for older type cards for compatibility.

I agree be sure your 5D Mk II has the latest firmware.

Firmware Version 2.1.2 incorporates the following change.

1. Optimizes the camera’s performance when using certain UDMA 7-compatible CF cards released in February 2012 or later.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

"What could be the issue?  Same problem on four cameras (Mk Is and MK IIs).  I'm wondering if it has to do with the speed of the cards (these cards are faster than any of my other cards).  Help!" 

A card being capable of operating at a higher speed, but operating at the slower speed of an older camera, shouldn't be a factor.  Speed refers to the maximum speed that the card can handle, not a minimum speed that must be used. 

Look at memory card speed a bit like top speed in a car.  Your car can top off at 100mph, but it can do 20mph just fine, too.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
There's a difference between read/write speed and communication protocols and disk formats.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements