cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corrupt 5d MK3 Raw file.....NOT MY CARD READER

Echard
Contributor

Hi All, I hope someone can help me with this. Here's the problem and see the photo for what it looks like

Shot in RAW on a Sandisk 32GB CF card 90MB/s  AND a Sandisk 64MB Extreme Pro SD card - Raw as well

Both gave me the same two corrupted files, one after the other. 

It looks this way in camera before I uploaded to my Mac AND it happened the same on both cards so the card reader can be ruled out. I also used to different card readers to upload.

Both cards were formatted in Camera.

Has anyone had this problem? I don't want it to happen again on a more critical shot.

Thanks in advance,

Echard

echardwheeler.com8U4A5675.jpg

6 REPLIES 6

hsbn
Whiz

Have you tried low level format or with a different card?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

No, I've not tried that. 

Are both cards written simultaneously, or is the image written to the primary card, then copied to the secondary card? If the latter, then only one bad card is required to explain it. Two bad cards, of different types, is pretty far-fetched. (BTW, under that scenario, if you reverse the primary and the secondary, the problem should go away - or at least be confined to one card.)

One thing you might as well do, before you send the camera and the cards to Canon, is to make sure that you have the latest 5D3 firmware (1.2.3) installed. But that's pretty far-fetched too.

Actually, I have seen that phenomenon before, though not recently and not on a 5D3. As I recall, I never did figure out what corrupted the files.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thanks Robert. I am using the record seperately option. Both shooting raw. I don't think one card or the other is primary in that option. Correct me if I'm wrong.  I do have the latest firmware update.

Is this something Canon CAN fix? IF I send in the camera and card?

Echard

If there is something wrong with the camera, otherwise, they'll not fix it if it is a card issue. Also, they will not restore your images. So I don't see a point of sending the camera in unless you're pretty certain that it is the camera problem. You should try to do low level format, go out shoot random things, and test it. Then go out and buy another card to test too. I think you have a better chance of return the card to Sandisk and get a new one. They have Limited Lifetime warranty. I have done it once. You can go here for more info: http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5232/~/return-material-authorization-%28rma%29-process

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

Just so I understand this:

IF it happened on both cards it CAN still be the card or card reader? That is still a possibility?

Thanks so much,

Echard

Announcements