cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copyright notice oddity

All Canon midrange and high-end cameras allow you to provide a character string to be incorporated as a copyright notice in the Exif data of every picture the camera takes. A selection of ASCII characters is provided for use in forming the notice; but strangely, the internationally recognized "©" character that identifies a copyright notice isn't one of them. If you try to include it in the character string uploaded to the camera, it is ignored. I guess it's not a huge deal, but it seems like a silly oversight that could be remedied in any firmware update.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

From Canon DLC

Adding Copyright information to your images

You are correct no © symbol is available and obviously Canon is aware of that.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

From Canon DLC

It is really a moot point. It can be edited, added to or deleted at any time.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

It is really a moot point. It can be edited, added to or deleted at any time.

@Bob.  It's a safe bet that the presets in Lightroom that Ernie mentioned can do exactly that to a batch of image of files all at once.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@TTMartin wrote:

From Canon DLC

Interesting article. Thanks for pointing it out.

While the article admits that Canon cameras don't let you incorporate the copyright symbol, it doesn't say that you can't do it with EOS Utility or how it is displayed if you do. Ernie's experience with Lightroom suggests that it can be there (since LR appears to display it correctly). I'll have to run some more tests.

The reason I'm so interested in the copyright notice is that I routinely switch between two notices, one for work and one for personal photography. (Via EOSU, of course; I'm not about to type it in from scratch each time!) So I'd like to see the camera able to retain two notices, with a menu option to switch between them. While my situation may be unusual, it certainly can't be unique, so maybe others would like to join me in lobbying Canon for this improvement.  Smiley Wink

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

A copyright meta file with 1, 2 or 10 or 100 different info can be done in LR as a preset.  You can select whichever one you want to be applied to all or a single photo or a group of photos.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@TTMartin wrote:

From Canon DLC

"Enter copyright details: Ditto. The only noteworthy thing here is that even though there are special typographic symbols, there is no official Copyright symbol, “©”. Instead, if you don’t want to spell out the word “copyright,” you can use either parentheses or brackets around a lowercase letter “c”. Here and in the Author’s name area, you can enter up to 63 characters, including blank spaces."

DING!  Yes, I've read that article before.  It is probably where I got the idea to include my "prefix" that I posted.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements