cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convince me not to switch!

dlmytlephoto
Apprentice

Hey everyone, new to the forum. Im a landscape photographer from NC. Ive been shooting with a 5DMkiV  for quite a while, and the Nikon D850 is keeping me awake at night. I cant stop thinking about the possibility of switching. Has anyone got experience with both cameras, and have some info for me? Money aside.

12 REPLIES 12

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I totally agree the D850 is a fantastic camera. I shoot both brands, not nearly do I shoot Nikon as much as I do Canon though.  But the D850 is something else. If I were in the market, today, for that type camera it would be a difficult choice to choose between the D850 and the 5D Mk IV.  I don't know.

That is why you must consider other factors that will effect you ultimate goal of great photos.  This come down to several things and the biggest is lenses. I have a fairly large collection of Nikon lenses but not anywhere near the collection of Canon lenses.  So that would push me in favor of the 5D Mk IV. On the topic of lenses, Canon lenses as a general rule are better than Nikon lenses.  Yeah some brand-N's are just as good but Nikon can't seem to match Canon in price.  They do it but at a greater cost, sometime much greater. Like to have some of that money back!

Another consideration is Canon's CS which is a model for all companies.  The best camera in the world isn't worth a dime if you can't get good, fast service.  Important to me because of how much I use my gear.

Lastly for this conversation Canon cameras fit my hand better.  The just feel better. I believe the build is better, too.  Not so much in the higher end cameras and lenses but it's there.

When the D850 first came out I almost pulled the string for one.  Still like to own one.  Would love to own one matter of fact.  I am just glad I am not in the market for this kind of camera.  I guess the pendulum swings just a bit in favor of Canon fo rme.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I cant stop thinking about the possibility of switching...

That depends on what your needs are and what your customers/clients are expecting out of you. 

Questions:

1. Do you need to print very large & what size?

2. Are switching lenses & camera bodies worth the expense to improving your photography and/or  photography business? 

3. Are you willing to take the time to get used to a new camera system (i.e. controls, menu navigation, ergonomics, how it feels in the hand)?

Only switch brands if it is mission critical. 

If you're taking fantastic pictures with the camera you already have and your clients are satisfied with your photos, don't switch brands. It may not be worth the hassle financially & personally.

Another consideration is Canon's CS which is a model for all companies.  The best camera in the world isn't worth a dime if you can't get good, fast service...

Good point, Ernie. Most people just research a camera based on image quality, dynamic range, dxomark tests & not the quality of service if something goes wrong. Now I'm not saying that Nikon's customer/repair service is bad or anything, but I value peace of mind & reliability with my camera & lenses. 

Andrew
Nature Photography Hobbyist / Enthusiast
Canon EOS Rebel T6i

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

For me I am used to the Canon layout and I have so many Canon lenses that although I have looked a few times at other lines I haven't seriously considered switching.  It would be a more difficult decision for me if I was entering photography or moving up to a more advanced body and level of lens quality.

Whenever you are making a difficult decision that does involve signficant money then it is very useful to pull out Excel or a sheet of paper and detail all of the benefits and drawbacks of each choice.  See if any of the negatives are "fatal", if not rank them in terms of importance and do a comparison between choices.  It is much easier to make a rational and logical decision once the data is clearly spelled out.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

I tried Nikon a few years back & the only reason I dumped it was lens choices. Neither Nikon nor the 3rd party offered what I needed for what I shoot. That said the Sigma & Tamron 150-600 lenses didn't exist yet & they would have fit my needs but nothing comes close to my Canon 28-300 L IS & I rely heavily on it.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Plankowner110
Contributor

I like the fact that my Canon camera and Canon lenses are made in Japan and not another country.

Plankowner110
6D

Yea It is a fact that canon with its lenses are proving its strength to capture the real view. I tested some of them to take my experience to a whole new level and its worthy to mention that I believe the Canon can make the difference.

**Link removed per forum guidelines**

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@dlmytlephoto wrote:

Hey everyone, new to the forum. Im a landscape photographer from NC. Ive been shooting with a 5DMkiV  for quite a while, and the Nikon D850 is keeping me awake at night. I cant stop thinking about the possibility of switching. Has anyone got experience with both cameras, and have some info for me? Money aside.

If you are primarily shooting landscapes, then what about the 5Ds/5Dsr?  Higher resolution, and no need to invest in new lenses.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

My .02cents..  As I have said before here many times since it's release, the D850 is a great camera (almost a masterpiece), but no, no way would I ever leave Canon.

2018 marks my 40th year with the Canon brand.  I was a young teen when I started with an AE-1.  Thats a life time with a brand that has captured memories and provided exceptional quality and value.  I respect others opinions, but for me, there is no other than Canon.  It's never let me down. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@shadowsports wrote:

My .02cents..  As I have said before here many times since it's release, the D850 is a great camera (almost a masterpiece), but no, no way would I ever leave Canon.

2018 marks my 40th year with the Canon brand.  I was a young teen when I started with an AE-1.  Thats a life time with a brand that has captured memories and provided exceptional quality and value.  I respect others opinions, but for me, there is no other than Canon.  It's never let me down. 

"If it ain't broken, don't try to fix it."

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements