cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting RAW files to JPEG

ejboa
Apprentice

Hi there, I wonder if anyone can help. I have taken around 32 GB of RAW images on my SD card (no jpegs) - I am currently in Nepal so limited access to computer facilities. Is there a quick way to convert all these files to jpeg?

7 REPLIES 7

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Not without access to a computer that has appropriate software.  If you want RAW and jpeg on the SD card most cameras will allow RAW and jpeg capture.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ejboa
Apprentice

Hi, thank you so much for your reply. What kind of software do I need to convert the files?

ejboa
Apprentice

Also, how easy is it to convert the files? I have around 1000 images 😕 Is it a laborious process?

Which camera do you have?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

ejboa
Apprentice

A Canon EOS 600D...

OK. You are going to need access to a computer and the CD that came with the camera. Or the internet if you don't have the CD. Excuse me if I am going too basic, but I don't know your level of experience.

The process can be very easy on your part if all you want to do is convert to JPEG; i.e. no editing.

The camera comes with software called Canon Digital Photo Professional (DPP). Install it from the CD. If you don't have the CD you can download the CD image from:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/eos_slr_camera_systems/eos_digital_slr_cameras/eos_re...

Choose the appropriate operating system. Don't download DPP, download the EOS Solution disk.

You need to download the RAW files into a folder on your computer. Start DPP, select the folder the RAW files are in and choose "Select All"

Choose "Batch Process", select JPEG and click "Execute". Now go for a coffee; it will take the computer a long time to process 1000 images.

Since it seems like you are new this you might want to choose JPEG rather than RAW in your camera.

If this isn't clear respond back.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

DrMikeinPDX
Apprentice

It sounds like you are on a trip and ran out of room on your memory card.  If that is the case, you might want to just buy another memory card.   

You could also borrow a computer from someone and transfer your RAW files to a flash drive or if you have internet access you could store them online with Google Drive or Dropbox.

Current bodies: 5D3, 7D, T2i, S100
Favorite Lenses: 24-105 L F/4, 135L, 85 F/1.8
Web site: http://www.BeyondBoudoirPhoto.com
Announcements