cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting an EOS M50 for streaming

psyniac58
Apprentice

Hi everybody!

I was hoping someone could help me with what might be a very basic question. I just wanted to clarify before I spend money on something and it doesn't work!

I purchased a Canon EOS M50 last summer, my first real camera and I've loved it thus far. But I was thinking of perhaps turning it into a streaming camera too when at home. I've set it up to use as a camera by connecting a micro USB to my Macbook and it runs fine but obviously, as I understand it, the micro USB port is intended to run to a power supply in this instance as otherwise it relies on (and drains) the battery.

Ergo, I have to assume it would be possible for me to use the other port; the HDMI Type-D? I believe that's correct.

So am I right in assuming that if I purchased an HDMI Type-D cable, and a HDMI Type-A to USB adapter - that would work for accessing my camera feed from my Macbook? (If anyone is familiar, I would be using the Camera Live app) And thus I can use the micro-USB port as a power source, as intended?

Thanks so much for reading

Psy

7 REPLIES 7

@psyniac58 wrote:

Hi everybody!

I was hoping someone could help me with what might be a very basic question. I just wanted to clarify before I spend money on something and it doesn't work!

I purchased a Canon EOS M50 last summer, my first real camera and I've loved it thus far. But I was thinking of perhaps turning it into a streaming camera too when at home. I've set it up to use as a camera by connecting a micro USB to my Macbook and it runs fine but obviously, as I understand it, the micro USB port is intended to run to a power supply in this instance as otherwise it relies on (and drains) the battery.

Ergo, I have to assume it would be possible for me to use the other port; the HDMI Type-D? I believe that's correct.

So am I right in assuming that if I purchased an HDMI Type-D cable, and a HDMI Type-A to USB adapter - that would work for accessing my camera feed from my Macbook? (If anyone is familiar, I would be using the Camera Live app) And thus I can use the micro-USB port as a power source, as intended?

Thanks so much for reading

Psy

If what I think you're saying is correct, I believe the M50 is the first Canon camera I've heard of that can be powered through its USB port. Most can be powered only through their own batteries or through an adapter that fits in the battery's position. Unless you're sure on that point (and  the phrase "obviously, as I understand it" doesn't give me a lot of confidence that you are), look it up in the owner's manual before you pursue this arrangement any further.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I don't have a M50.  I don't do video. I don't stream.  But my gut says you will be ahead of the game if you go buy a video camera that was designed to do what you want.  My guess is the M50 is not.  This makes the choice of cable moot.

The M50 is a DSLR after all.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I don't have a M50.  I don't do video. I don't stream.  But my gut says you will be ahead of the game if you go buy a video camera that was designed to do what you want.  My guess is the M50 is not.  This makes the choice of cable moot.

The M50 is a DSLR after all.

It is?? I thought it was a mirrorless. Isn't that what the "M" stands for?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

OK, Robert, the meaning it is a digital camera basically designed for stills. Geez, some guys are sticklers for minor details. Grasp the meaning!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Greetings,

The M50 does not support USB charging.  This is how you safely run your camera:

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/ac-adapter-kit-ack-e12

And what Ernie states is even better.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

docusync
Enthusiast

You won't be able to use the your micro-USB cable to power the camera.

Google "DC Coupler DR-E12" - this is what you need. Plus an AC adapter for the dummy battery.

HDMI would be useful with a device like the Elgato Cam Link, but you won't need it for the Camera Live app - it will work directly via USB. Happy streaming 🙂

psyniac58
Apprentice

Thanks everyone for your responses... I tried it out for 90 minutes yesterday with the camera plugged into my Macbook via Micro USB to stream... and after 90 minutes it's STILL on full battery.

So, despite assumptions otherwise, it appears it doesn't need anything extra after all!

Announcements