cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer does not recognize GPS GP-E2

OldSlowHans
Enthusiast

Santa brought me a GP-E2 gps unit.

I use it with my Canon 80D, and it sends information properly to EXIF, both when mounted in the hotshoe, and also if I connect via cable to the 80D mini-USB port.

But it the Canon software (GPS Log file utility, or Map Utility) cannot detect the GPS unit.  The computer is running up-to-date Win-10.

I have determined that the USB port on GP-E2 is operating properly by taking the unit off the hot shoe, and connecting via cable.  This also proves the cable good.

I have determined that the USB port on the computer is working by connecting other devices to that port.

But the Canon software DOES NOT SEE the GPS.  What's up?

"Just an old boy, and his camera"
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Yes. Just plug it in with wide part facing down.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I do not have the external unit, but I have a couple of cameras with built-in GPS.  This is how they work.

When I download files with the EOS Utility I must have the internal GPS turned on.  If I want to capture Log files, then that is enabled separately.  When I download files, I must have the internal GPS turned on.  If I want to transfer Log files, then that must be enabled, too.

I no longer use the Map Utility from Canon.  Adobe Lightroom works will with the GPS tagging of image files.  The Map Utility is used to read your Log files, which contains a record of your travel and where you took shots..  GPS data is appended to the EXIF data during download, which is why the GPS must be enabled, because it retrieves the data.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I have the GP-E2 and a W10 computer.

When I connect the GPS unit to the computer and turn it on I get a popup through Windows the the GPS is connected.

You say that you remove the GPS from the hot shoe and connect to camera via cable, which proves the cable is good.

I am confused.  How do you use the cables that came with the GPS unit to your computer? The Canon cables that come with the GPS do not have a USB-A connector?

To connect the GPS to the computer you would use a cable like the one that comes with the camera - USB-Mini to USB-A.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

I have a Mini-USB to USB-A conversion plug..

Since that seems to be the only difference between my setup and yours try using a true USB-A to Mini-USB cable like the camera comes with.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

All my Canon cameras have a USB-Mini port, and of course I use a USB-A to USB-Mini cable for connecting camera to computer.

My GP-E2 has an unsual port, shaped sort of like a very small HDMI connector.  The cable supplied with the GPS has a mini USB on one end, and a male version of this unusual connector at the GPS end.

Do you use a "regular"  camera-to-computer (mini-to-A) cable from GPS to computer?  If not, describe that cable.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Yes. Just plug it in with wide part facing down.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Well, SUNNUVAGUN!

That worked!

So why do they have that unusual connector?  

Thanks, John!

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
I agree that the guidance is not great. I contacted Canon back when I first got the device and they told me how to do it.

Your approach could work but not all adapters seem to have a data channel connection.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements