cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compact Flash SD Card Lost ALL Data!

stevieglick
Contributor

Hi guys! New to the forum. I had an event today and was taking photos and video all day, later in the evening I went to upload some new photos to my macbook and everything was gone. Any help would be appreciated!

14 REPLIES 14

Okay, we seem to have established that you are using an EOS 5D Mark III camera with the 128GB CF card.  

That camera body has two card slots, a CF card slot and an SD card slot.  Do you have cards in both slots?  If so, then check both cards for your missing files.

How are you reading the CF card?  Are you using a card reader, or connecting to your Mac via USB cable?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Using a Transcend memory card reader via USB to my Mac. The only card I've ever used in this camera is the CF card pictured above. 

@stevieglick wrote:

Using a Transcend memory card reader via USB to my Mac. The only card I've ever used in this camera is the CF card pictured above. 

Okay.  It does not sound like this is the first time you have tried to transfer files, anymore.  Do not place the card back into the camera!  Usually the best way to determine if there are files on a memory card would be to use the camera to browse the memory card.  But, this can also cause problems for a card that has been removed and then re-inserted.  The camera will try to initialize itself to use the inserted card, which can “erase” existing files.

During the event, did you try to erase any files?  The consensus opinion says deleting files in the camera should be avoided like the plague.  Deleting the most recent file, like the last photo you shot, seems pretty harmless.  But, going through the card and deleting select files here and there is where trouble can begin.

If you are certain that files should be on the card, then I suggest that you visit the Sandisk web site for a recovery program.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"The only card I've ever used in this camera is the CF card pictured above."

A couple things, is there another card in the camera?  Go check again.  It will be a smaller SD card. You should have noticed the red light blinking as it files your shots. If, yes, it stored them somewhere. Get ahold of Transcend and d/l their recovery software. You may need it. Lastly a 128GB CF card is way, way too big.  You should try to use several smaller memory cards.  That way if one does go south, you don't lose all your work or shots. I use 16GB CF cards.

Do not use that CF card. Do not format it or delete anything from it. This will make recovery difficult to impossible. Try a different reader and/or USB cable.  Even a different MacBook. Good luck!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

parsonssmith
Contributor

The recoverit data recover can help you recover lost data from your CF card easily

[Removed 3rd party link, per forum guidelines]

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements