cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Color Shift adjustment for 90D

PeterMars
Contributor

I am struggling with how color shift correction works. First I shoot a RAW image, then open in Adobe Camera RAW, As Shot. And no matter what I have the Color Temp set at in camera, it always shows a different value. AND the real problem is that the TINT is always up around +19 Magenta and needs to be around +22. I have tried adjustments in the "WB Shift" menu but I cannot figure out what is really happening. I can find no info online that explains how to test for and correct any bias my camera sensor has. Right now I am simply guessing by looking at many shots of various items.

If I set the WB to 5500K the Camera shows something like 6400K "as shot" Why does Camera RAW not show the actual camera settings "as shot"? I have no starting point to evaluate what the camera is doing.

I'm trying to calibrate the camera so I can accurately evaluate LED lighting I am using. Just like my monitor, calibration is essential to getting accurate color.

13 REPLIES 13

You know just for kicks and grins, reset everything.  Reset your camera to factory default. Make sure there are no presets in PS, ACR or LR. In PS reset preferences (do this in the Preferences Dialog Box). Do the same for LR (Alt+Shift as you start Lightroom in Windows some other keys in Mac).

In ACR, when you hold down Alt key you can click Reset. The Cancel key becomes a Reset key (in Windows some other keys in Mac). 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

OK, I just took a quick shot in my backyard. Av Mode, Auto Exposure, WB Shift set to O,O - Camera WB set at 5500, Neutral picture style w/contrast set -2 (because the camera always seems to have trouble with shadows being way too dark)

LrC shows "as shot" 5600K and Tint +17 - -  The image is Dark and Extremely contrasty, shadows are up against the left edge and whites are close to right edge of Histogram and seem OK. Clicking on LrC Auto button definitely improves the image!!

Still I am not understanding why the AS SHOT info is not what I set the camera on and why am I always getting a high +magenta value? 

I just took a few more shots in my backyard to try and get more info on this... Opening in LrC, camera set to 5500K shows "as shot" 5600K and +17 Tint. 5700K shows "as shot" 5800K and +17 Tint. AWB-W shows "as shot" 4750K is much too blue and shows +13 Tint. All shots are extremely contrasty and appear too dark overall, shadows right up against the left histogram edge. Whites are close but not blown out. Hitting the "Auto Exposure" button in LrC helps alot.

Seems like the in camera WB is pretty off, and still no idea why the Tint is so much towards Magenta.

I'm gonna fire up the 80D in a bit and repeat these same shots.

UPDATE: Canon 80D test shots

So I did the exact same 3 shots with same settings using the 80D and they were pretty right on in terms of the K settings and the Tint settings were more in line with what I would expect.

AWB-w reported 4950 with +3  Tint - -  5700K reported 5700K with +6 Tint - -  5500K reported 5550K with +6 Tint.

What could be happening here? 90D defective?

UPDATE : Phone call with Canon USA

Just got off the phone with Joel at Canon Tech Support, forst thing he says is, let's check the color temp in Digital Photo Professional. So we went thru it and sure enough, the 90D and the 80D are both reporting the correct "As Shot" Color Temps for all photos opened in DPP. So the problem is definitely with Adobe Camera Raw and Lightroom. Apparently Adobe has not figured out how to correctly interpret raw data from the 90D. Not sure what to do next... the good news is that my 90D is not defective!

Thanks!! I am looking over the info in the link you sent. Difficult to understand. I will read it again.

I guess my trouble stems from not understanding what the Camera RAW color info is actually telling me. How do I use this to gain some insight into how my sensor may or may not be off. No matter what settings I use for White Balance in the camera, the color sliders in Camera RAW don't seem to be making sense regarding that color balance.

Almost as if Camera RAW is using it's own computation for what the actual color balance was when shot. I assumed that if I put the Camera WB on 5500K camera RAW would show that exeact number when I select "as shot"

I am using an X-Rite i1 Display Pro monitor calibrator and colors is right on, so I need to calibrate the camera I guess... just hoping there is a procedure for getting close without spending a fortune.

Something like this: Shoot a known neutral card, open in camera RAW or Lightroom and boost the  saturation until noticeable, adjust camera WB Shift Green/Magenta as needed. Repeat test.

Thanks for your help!

Announcements