Canon Community Canon Community

Frequent Contributor

Re: Color Problem with 5D Mark 3

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Well I don't like either one.  Both are over saturated.  This is how I would ahve adjusted it.

original.jpg

Can you show ebiggs what do you do with this photo in photoshop? I konow what was did in Lightroom but there was something more perhaps with curves in Photoshop.

VIP

"...perhaps with curves in Photoshop."

Bingo, you got it.  Smiley Happy  Curves is where it at.  The three main most important things in PS are layers, masks and curves.

Like I have been trying to get across, your WB isn't a big deal.  It can be fixed in PS with curves as it does with most other miscues.  If you want professional results yo uneed profeaaional software. It is time to get LR and or PS.

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV, even less and less other stuff.
VIP

Just using curves, nothing else.

From this...........

1111.jpg

.....to this.

1111a.jpg

VIP

1111ab.jpg

Frequent Contributor

@ebiggs1 wrote:

1111ab.jpg

You've got an eagle eye ebiggs Smiley Wink Thanks a lot for every Idea to be perfect with a photography.

Esteemed Contributor

Careful... as I mouse over the area with a the Digital Color Meter app (included in every Mac), I get strong pixel to pixel variation.  Whatever that is... it's not really a "gray" solid.

If you want to be sure that you have gray... use a photographic gray card.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
VIP

[ Edited ]

"Whatever that is... it's not really a "gray" solid."

Yes it is.  I guess you are not a LR/PS user there Tim.  The color picker default is one pixel.  If you move the color picker around until the curves adjustment reaches the middle you have found neutral gray. 

grayscale.jpg

" I get strong pixel to pixel variation."

You need to stop using or doing that since it is misleading.

"If you want to be sure that you have gray... use a photographic gray card."

Right!  Geeze man, you'er not serious?  Like we carry that on a shoot and stick it in every photo. There are classes on the web and in local colleges that will teach you how to use LR/PS.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

"Whatever that is... it's not really a "gray" solid."

Yes it is.  I guess you are not a LR/PS user there Tim.  The color picker default is one pixel.  If you move the color picker around until the curves adjustment reaches the middle you have found neutral gray. 

No... you haven't.  You have to KNOW that the target you select is, in fact, a "neutral" gray... and not just something "gray-ish". 

Do you not notice the green color cast on her face?  This might be cause to suspect your method is not reliable.

" I get strong pixel to pixel variation."

You need to stop using or doing that since it is misleading.

Or more revealing.  A "real" gray source wont have strong pixel to pixel variation.  The percentage blend of RGB will be extremely similar from pixel to pixel.  

"If you want to be sure that you have gray... use a photographic gray card."

Right!  Geeze man, you'er not serious?  Like we carry that on a shoot and stick it in every photo.

You put the gray card in ONE reference frame and that will give you accurate white balance for every shot taken in that same lighting situation.   If you want accurate results, this is what you do.  It actually works every time.  

You're hunting around looking for something your eye *thinks* is gray (not paying attention to the huge variation) and settling for something that isn't gray.  You really may as well just grab the white balance slider in Lightroom and nudge it until it looks ok ... it as accurate as what you're doing, but with less fuss.

If you want to nail the white balance, you use a target that you KNOW is "neutral" gray. 

They're cheap.  They're compact.  You'll nail the color every time.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da