cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Close Up Lens

champco
Contributor

On the specs for Canon 500D 58mm Close up Lens, the 70-300 mm 1:4 - 5.6 IS USM is not included The 4-5.6 lens is listed.

I do not see why it will not work on my lens. Maybe better then the 70-300 on the list?

Thanks for looking.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

trulandphoto
Enthusiast

@champco wrote:

On the specs for Canon 500D 58mm Close up Lens, the 70-300 mm 1:4 - 5.6 IS USM is not included The 4-5.6 lens is listed.

I do not see why it will not work on my lens. Maybe better then the 70-300 on the list?

Thanks for looking.

It will work on your lens. I assume you're referring to compatibility lists on the Canon web site. Some times these are out of date with older items as newer lenses, bodies, etc. are introduced.

The 500D is designed for use with 70mm focal lengths and longer. As long as the filter thread diameter matches the close-up lens it will work. Regardless of lens or lens manufacturer.

-------------------------------------
http://trulandphoto.zenfolio.com/
http://trulandphoto.blogspot.com/

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

trulandphoto
Enthusiast

@champco wrote:

Thanks for looking.

It will work on your lens. I assume you're referring to compatibility lists on the Canon web site. Some times these are out of date with older items as newer lenses, bodies, etc. are introduced.

The 500D is designed for use with 70mm focal lengths and longer. As long as the filter thread diameter matches the close-up lens it will work. Regardless of lens or lens manufacturer.

-------------------------------------
http://trulandphoto.zenfolio.com/
http://trulandphoto.blogspot.com/

Thanks!!

Skirball
Authority

@champco wrote:

Thanks for looking.

Your wording is a bit odd, which is why you might be having trouble.

Are you referring to the Canon 70-300 non-L (black lens)?  You wouldn't normally call it 1:4-5.6.  The 4-5.6 is the maximum aperture range.  1:4 is a magnification, which I notice that this lens happens to have a .26X magnification so I could see someone truncating it to 1:4-5.6, but it's technically not what Canon would call it.  That lens does have a 58mm filter, so the close up adapter should fit on it.

Just note that Canon makes another 70-300, it's an L series lens, also with a variable aperture of 4-5.6.  It could lead to some confusion.  It has a filter size of 67mm, so the adapter wouldn't fit that.

Hi

I refered to the lens quoting the lens stampings. After writing the question and after doing additional reading i realized the two lenses were probably one in the same in spite of the stamping, making my question unnecessary. It is Black, I can be odd in ways to keep the boredom at bay. Being new to Canon equipment and reading till my eyes hurt i am slowly learning about the different options available.

Truly wanting to do some Macro is where I found the 500 D. Knowing I want the ES-F 60mm but can try to see how the 500 D works for a lot less. It the 50mm being a 1.1 fixed may not be enough and I am considering the MP-e 65mm to probably satisfy, what has been a life long desire.

Regards  

@champco wrote:

Hi

I refered to the lens quoting the lens stampings.  

Ah, I see, you're correct.  My appologies.  Perhaps I should look closer at my lenses, seems Canon uses this designation on all their lenses.  However, that is just a way to express ratio for the aperture.  It's pure coincidence that the lens also has roughly a 1:4 magnification.

@champco wrote:

Truly wanting to do some Macro is where I found the 500 D. Knowing I want the ES-F 60mm but can try to see how the 500 D works for a lot less. It the 50mm being a 1.1 fixed may not be enough and I am considering the MP-e 65mm to probably satisfy, what has been a life long desire.

Regards  

I highly recommend that you buy a standard 1:1 macro lens before getting an MP-e 65.  In fact, I recommend that you get macro lens and a coupler that will allow you to stack another lens, in reverse, on the end of the macro lens so you can play around with magnifications around 2X.  It's a different world and takes some work to get good photos.  When you do the photos are awesome, but not everyone likes having that amount of setup (macro rails, lighting, photo stacking, etc).

I'm a huge fan of the Canon 100mm macro, but the 60mm is very popular.  Both provide 1:1 and have similar IQ.  Since they all have a 1:1 ratio I prefer a longer focal length to get me more working length between my subject and lens.

I hear you on the 100mm and having distance from subject, to allow light in if for no other reason. I have been unwilling at this point to go the route using extenders and rails and such. The idea of the MP-e focusing by distance if magnified is something that if one can do off hand, will likely get better shots. Bugs like posing so getting them candid before they notice the lens insures better results. {sic.....}

Announcements