cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing EXIF Data on Canon 1D MarkII without using Firewire

MissCanon
Apprentice

I bought a used Canon 1D Mark!! a while ago and has ever since been struggling to find a way to erase the first owners name in the EXIF data without using Firewire which seems to be pretty much impossible. 

I have access to several different laptops and computers, none of which are ancient enough to have Firewire, and using an adapter obviously is not working according to everyone I have spoken to. 

I could, and have pulled my hair and tweaked my brain endlessly to understand why Canon can not come up with an easier solution than the combination of EOS Utility and Firewire. One of these adviced me to bring a computer in, pay up the bucks for upgrading it with a Firewirecard and be all set, but there must be an easier way. 

Can I please get some tips, a how-to advice, or do I simply have to contact a local Canon center in order to have this done by submitting the actual camera? Can't I do this myself somehow?

I have of course Lightroom 5, PS and the works and yes, in LR 5 I can do this on each separate photo, but I want it changed on the camera itself otherwise I just might get rid of it.

16 REPLIES 16

I know must have done that when I first got the 1D Mk II and later the II n but I certainly don't remember it.  It is coming back now that you have shown me the set-up.  I can't even remember the last computer I had with a Firewire plug in it.

It must have been that old PC with Win 98 on it.  I know Firewire and 64-bit don't get along well together.  I think Firewire was more a Apple thing than PC.

I have all that original stuff around here if I can only find it.  I took my darkroom apart about six months ago and it may have been tossed.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I sold all the darkroom equipment to buy my 20D when they came out. Since then it was a junk room for a while but a few years ago it became the "airplane room" as my wife calls it. It's a bit small but it's where I build / repair / keep the tools & parts etc for my R/C stuff. As for old computers I've got several thanks to a friend who used to buy & sell older laptops. My business software is DOS based so I need spare antiques until I retire. 

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Thank you gentlemen for your time to assist me! Smiley Happy

It is a 1D Mark II, my mistake for not making that clear.

Using the USB only allows me to download photos not adjust or change anything having to do with original author or such. The Exif of each picture shows all it should, no problem, except the fact that the copyright/owner name is impossibel to change on the camera itself. And yes, this bugs me agreat deal.

I could of course find a Mac I might be allowed to use, seeing at least some of them still use Firewire but I don't see that happening any time soon. Also of course, send the camera in for service and get it done that way.

If it is this much of an ordeal to fix it, such an important detail I just might simply sell it even though I thoroughly enjoy the challenge of playing with it, as hard as it is to manage, as heavy  and as sturdy as an old tank it is. Sad but true... I love challenges but this just may be a bit too much....

At one time the Canon EOS 1D Mk II was the best camera in the world.  How great is it to be able to use such a camera for pennies on the dollar!

You will not only need to find a Mac with a Firewire but also and original DVD with the software.  The newer versions of the software does not support the Mk II.

What happens, (I can't try since I never put this info in eihter of mine) if you simply remove both batteries for a least a day or two?  Perhaps this will set everythign back to factory defaults even the personal info.

EB

That is a great part of it.

I have a crush on my 1D Mk II...Smiley Wink I can only imagine the dreamy look I get as soon as I feel the weight in my hands. I adore it, and honestly? Being able to handle and use this very special camera on a daily basis should I want to with all its quirks, and getting great results?

That's pretty darn sweet a feeling... and I am addicted to it. Playing with almost any newer model of DLSR is a walk in the park compared....

I have it all, including the box, cables, the original software..The works.

I'll try the removal of the batteries, maybe it could work.

I have them all. Smiley Happy

There is a real difference between the Mk II and the Mk III.  The Mk III is more like any of the newest cameras on the market today.  It has most of the "modern" features.

My 1D does not even have a USB port.  It only has Firewire.  I must remove the CF card and use a card reader with it.

There is a warning, I must tell, once you go 1 series you will never go back.  There is just something about the feel of that body and the results it provides, no other camera comes close.

BTW, If you truly want a great 1 series find a good 1Ds Mk II.  They are a great buy right now.

In a 1D Mk II each pixel is 8.2 microns in size.  These make beautiful photos.  A lot of the newer cameras have to drop pixel size in the 5 or 6 micron size.  Just to say they have more on the sensor.  If it is an improvement, onyl you can decide but I love mine.

EB

Yes the 1Ds2 is a great camera with a few things some don't like including the small LCD but they have gone down in price to the point that I'd rather wear mine out vs selling it even if I buy another 1D4 or even newer body. The same however can be said about the 1D2 & 2n which are selling for a fraction of what the used to.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."
Announcements