cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing EXIF Data on Canon 1D MarkII without using Firewire

MissCanon
Apprentice

I bought a used Canon 1D Mark!! a while ago and has ever since been struggling to find a way to erase the first owners name in the EXIF data without using Firewire which seems to be pretty much impossible. 

I have access to several different laptops and computers, none of which are ancient enough to have Firewire, and using an adapter obviously is not working according to everyone I have spoken to. 

I could, and have pulled my hair and tweaked my brain endlessly to understand why Canon can not come up with an easier solution than the combination of EOS Utility and Firewire. One of these adviced me to bring a computer in, pay up the bucks for upgrading it with a Firewirecard and be all set, but there must be an easier way. 

Can I please get some tips, a how-to advice, or do I simply have to contact a local Canon center in order to have this done by submitting the actual camera? Can't I do this myself somehow?

I have of course Lightroom 5, PS and the works and yes, in LR 5 I can do this on each separate photo, but I want it changed on the camera itself otherwise I just might get rid of it.

16 REPLIES 16

cicopo
Elite

From many years on several forums the only way I've ever read about requires FIREWIRE. The reasoning was that it was a faster way to transfer info between the camera & computer when the camera was put into production. I know that Windows XP can still work with a Firewire card but don't know the last MAC OS that will. There are several other functions which get set using the firewire connection.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

I have no problem finding a computer using XP and yes, of course going through the process of installing a Firewire card is doable. 

Some how though it seems so far fetched and a pretty heavy process in order to simply have your own name on your own work. 

On the other hand the 1D Mark II is heavy itself too, and not the smoothest to work with in any shape or form.  

Thank you so much for your reply, I think I'll simply continue and work a preset out in LR...Mayhaps... Smiley Frustrated

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I bought a used Canon 1D Mark!!"

What camera did you buy?  A 1D or a 1D Mk II ?

The reason they used Firewire back then was, it was way faster than the flakey USB.  If you have a Mk II, you know it has a USB port.  So I guess this pretains to a original 1D.

In either case I know of no way to do this.  As a matter of fact I never heard of, or knew you could put "Author" or "Copyroght" info into a 1D or a 1D Mk II.  It is easy with a 1D Mk III.

BTW, Unless you have a 32-bit machine, I bet you can't get Firewire to work at all.

Here is one of my files in PS.  You can see the info is blank.

1.jpg

Here is a screen shot of PhotoMe.

2.jpg

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I sill use a 1D2n & 1Ds2 & both need the firewire connection for changes to them. Oddly enough I can't communicate with my 1D4 no matter what computer I use & it's a USB connection.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

I still use mine also but I don't know what info she is talking about. I didn't know you could change anything in the camera itself? I know I can on the Mk III and Mk IV but not the II's or 1D. Plus mine don't seem to have anything in the EXIF file anyway.
EB

Besides the Author's Name there are many Personal Functions which can be set / fine tuned using Camera Window & the Firewire cable.

You must think I am dumb as a box of rocks but where do you change or put a "Author" or copyright data in.

Most of what you show above can be done on the camera back.  There is no need of a Firewire.

I guess I need to try and find the original disk and reload the software.  When I updated Canon's software and they no longer supported the older cameras, I just use a card reader.   But I never put my name in the camera and nothing shows up in the EXIF.

So are you saying you can't use the USB cable to do this?  As I have no idea where my Firewire is even if I had a place on the computer to plug it in!  Man this is going back nearly 10 years.

EB

NO I don't think that & it's been a VERY long time since I last used any of it. I think it's in the Camera Window instructions of the era rather than in the manual but NO you can't do it with the camera or USB cable. As stupid as it was the USB was for Direct Print (going from memory on that). Here are some fresh screen grabs from my 1Ds2 using the Firewire cable which opened the older (no idea what version) software. I really didn't even know if it was still on my desktop. I have messed with my Authors name because it also has my email info & I sure don't need all the spam.

EOS Utility - EOS-1Ds Mark II 02042014 35303 PM.jpg

EOS-1Ds Mark II 02042014 35314 PM.jpg

EOS-1Ds Mark II 02042014 35324 PM.jpg

EOS-1Ds Mark II 02042014 35332 PM.jpg

Personal functions 02042014 35348 PM.jpg

You can edit (or set) the Custom Functions on the camera but not the Personal Functions.

cicopo
Elite

I've dug out the SOFTWARE manual which says it's for the 1D, 1Ds, 1D Mark ll & 1Ds Mark ll and there wasn't a change to the 1D2n it will also apply. It clearly states that you must use a "dedicated IEEE 1394 cable to communicate with the camera, both for downloads & to access / change specific functions. .

Announcements