cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing Battery with Camera Power On

mjschocken
Enthusiast

I have an 80D.  I think I remember somewhere that when you change batteries you should turn power off.  I generally do that but sometimes I forget.  Is there any consequence to changing batteries with power on?  I've done it about six times and haven't noticed any consequences but was wondering if anyone knew whether it was advised to change batteries with camera power off and, if so, why? 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@mjschocken wrote:

Thanks for the comments.  

As I mentioned, there doesn't seem to be any consequence for forgetting to turn off the camera power before changing batteries.  I have also forgotten to turn off camera power on rare occasions when changing lens and there is no apparent consequence for that either.  Fortunately, I have never forgotten when changing SD cards.  In that last case, I can see how you might corrupt the card.

Note also that in a perfect world, I'd never forget but forgetting has absolutely nothing to do with slowing down as one contributor mentioned.  In any case, I was just trying to understand how the camera being on during these changes could affect things.  I think a technical explanation from a Canon rep might be best.  

Good Idea.  Ask Canon.  

As long as the metering system is idle, there is probably less of a chance of damaging something when you change a lens.  As far as changing a battery goes, then camera boots up by accessing the card.  If the power switch is ON, then I think the likelihood of corrupting a memory rises when you close the battery door.

But, I am speculating, and erring on the side of safety.  I would be curious to hear what Canon has to say, though.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

Tim
Authority

Hello mjschocken, 

Upon inspection of the user guide for the EOS 80D, there is no specific mention that the camera needs to be turned Off before removing or charging the battery.  Consequences for doing say may include, losing data being written to the card at the time you removed the battery and any operations you're in the middle of not being saved.  Other than that, there are no long term effects from removing the battery prior to a shut down.     

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

@mjschocken wrote:

I have an 80D.  I think I remember somewhere that when you change batteries you should turn power off.  I generally do that but sometimes I forget.  Is there any consequence to changing batteries with power on?  I've done it about six times and haven't noticed any consequences but was wondering if anyone knew whether it was advised to change batteries with camera power off and, if so, why? 

It's like a power failure in a house. Everything should come back up afterwards, but occasionally something doesn't, quite. The better the people who wrote the camera's software were at their jobs, the less you have to worry about. Feel better now?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@mjschocken wrote:

Slow down, and you will begin to remember.  Don’t forget to power down to change lenses, too!

Peter
Authority
Authority

@mjschocken wrote:

The power is still on anyway, even if you have used the power switch. The only time the camera will do a clean shut down is when you open the card slot and the LED blinks stop.

After you turn off the camera, it will wake up as soon as you open the battery door, and it will stay so for a few seconds.

Same with the lens. The power is still on when you attach or deattach the lens.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Slow down, and you will begin to remember.  Don’t forget to power down to change lenses, too!"

I do turn off my cameras when I change batteries but I never do when changing lenses.  That is not necessary. 

Turning the camera off for battery changing is probably not necessary either.  Just a habit for me.  The 'keep alive' function of your camera keeps some juice on anyway.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks for the comments.  

As I mentioned, there doesn't seem to be any consequence for forgetting to turn off the camera power before changing batteries.  I have also forgotten to turn off camera power on rare occasions when changing lens and there is no apparent consequence for that either.  Fortunately, I have never forgotten when changing SD cards.  In that last case, I can see how you might corrupt the card.

Note also that in a perfect world, I'd never forget but forgetting has absolutely nothing to do with slowing down as one contributor mentioned.  In any case, I was just trying to understand how the camera being on during these changes could affect things.  I think a technical explanation from a Canon rep might be best.  

@mjschocken wrote:

Thanks for the comments.  

Good Idea.  Ask Canon.  

As long as the metering system is idle, there is probably less of a chance of damaging something when you change a lens.  As far as changing a battery goes, then camera boots up by accessing the card.  If the power switch is ON, then I think the likelihood of corrupting a memory rises when you close the battery door.

But, I am speculating, and erring on the side of safety.  I would be curious to hear what Canon has to say, though.

Tim
Authority

Hello mjschocken, 

Upon inspection of the user guide for the EOS 80D, there is no specific mention that the camera needs to be turned Off before removing or charging the battery.  Consequences for doing say may include, losing data being written to the card at the time you removed the battery and any operations you're in the middle of not being saved.  Other than that, there are no long term effects from removing the battery prior to a shut down.     

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements