cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car LED lights are pink/purple, not red

VektorCRO
Contributor

I have a problem where lights (taillights and even inside on car gauge dials, the light is not red but purple. Anyone have any idea what could be the problem? I am using 5d MkII with 17-40, white balance is automatic. I am shooting hundrets of cars and editing one by one is a big job. Thanks for your anwsers in advance.

IMG_8505.JPGIMG_8505.JPG

33 REPLIES 33

Then why did the video not have the problem?

Most Red LED's do not have much ultraviolet, it is the white LED's that use phosphers.

@kvbarkley wrote:

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ah ... good point, I hadn't looked at the video Smiley Sad

@kvbarkley wrote:

Most Red LED's do not have much ultraviolet, it is the white LED's that use phosphors.

Maybe the video was taken with a UV filter?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

No, withouth any filter. It is not the same car, 3 years older. Also LED-s. Since the problem is with the new cars, it could be different LED-s, stronger or something.

@VektorCRO wrote:

No, withouth any filter. It is not the same car, 3 years older. Also LED-s. Since the problem is with the new cars, it could be different LED-s, stronger or something.

You need a CPL filter.  

If you have a CPL filter, then try this short experiment.  Hold one up, and look at your LED TV screen, or computer monitor.  Now begin to slowly turn the filter ring until you have turned it in a complete circle.  Viola!  Your problem can be solved.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

If you have a CPL filter, then try this short experiment.  Hold one up, and look at your LED TV screen, or computer monitor.  Now begin to slowly turn the filter ring until you have turned it in a complete circle.  Viola!  Your problem can be solved.

This works with LED TV screens or computer monitor screens because they have an inbuilt polarizing filter, sadly it does not work with direct LED lighting.

@Ray-uk wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

This works with LED TV screens or computer monitor screens because they have an inbuilt polarizing filter, sadly it does not work with direct LED lighting.

You are probably correct.  I thought solid state light sources produced light that was already polarized.  Don’t they add filters to TV monitors to “sharpen” the image coming from the emitters?

I understand what you are saying, but I do not see how a CPL would not be a good solution for cutting the glare and intense iight from solid state light sources.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
I think a CPL filter would very useful here. It would solve the saturation problem with the high intensity, solid state light sources.

VektorCRO
Contributor

Hers is another example.Left light is purple and right red. Flash is bounced of the celing....

IMG_0186.JPG

@VektorCRO wrote:

Hers is another example.Left light is purple and right red. Flash is bounced of the celing....

IMG_0186.JPG

Are the car's lights even turned on?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements