cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon7d mark 2 firmware issue.

yaj
Apprentice
I have an 7d mark 2 that is having soft focus cause by firmware update that really frustrated me. The camera is out of warranty. I have done many calibrations with my lens but could not get it to focus right. Does anyone know if Canon provides fix to these issues, or does anyone know how to fix this problem. Very appreciated if anyone knows anything, thanks.
4 REPLIES 4

Ray-uk
Whiz

What makes you think a firmware update caused the soft focus.

What  were the version numbers of the firmware that that you updated from and to ?

Can you post a picture that shows the soft focus.

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Specifically what lens brand & model are you using when you have these issues?

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

yaj
Apprentice
I think the camera came with version 1.0.3 or 1.0.4 and was working fine with my lens until I updated to version 1.0.5 then my picture started to look Soft.. I have updated to the latest firmware but it did not fix the problem. After so many calibrations, it got better but still not tack sharp. I use canon ef-s 15-85, Ef 50mm f1.4 and 70-200 f 4. They all have to be recalibrated with the camera. I did not kept any soft focus pictures. I guess I just have to live with it. I don't Think i can downgrade back to the old version firmware. Thanks.

@yaj wrote:
I think the camera came with version 1.0.3 or 1.0.4 and was working fine with my lens until I updated to version 1.0.5 then my picture started to look Soft.. I have updated to the latest firmware but it did not fix the problem. After so many calibrations, it got better but still not tack sharp. I use canon ef-s 15-85, Ef 50mm f1.4 and 70-200 f 4. They all have to be recalibrated with the camera. I did not kept any soft focus pictures. I guess I just have to live with it. I don't Think i can downgrade back to the old version firmware. Thanks.

If you are saying you had to micro focus adjust your lenses to get them to be sharp with your camera, that is NORMAL.

If you are saying no matter how much micro focus adjustment you use, you can not get them to focus properly that is not normal.

When checking the focus adjustment of your camera be sure you have something that extends into the foreground and background (do not MFA against a wall with no foreground or background visible). That way you can see where the plane of focus is. Remember if nothing is sharp in the photo then it is not a focus issue.

Canon EOS AF Microadjustment Guidebook

Announcements