cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon wants $700 just to look at my camera and 2 lenses "does this sound right" ??

Robodot
Enthusiast

26 REPLIES 26

@Robodot wrote:

Thank you for that info, i do remember testing with Live View let me see if I have a sample, it may have been better: (I had to convert it from raw and crop it to reduce the size, still not any good) good try though!

Sorry, but that shot is not very useful for evaluating DOF.  

Your previous shot with the inclined target scale is what you want.  This type of test target is good for evaluating noise and sharpness, assuming that the lens/camera plane of focus is working in proper order.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Robodot wrote:

thank you for your interest and suggestion. the colume was down and tight, I will double check all the other connections again. the tripod is the manfrotto 3001BD, 71RC2 fluid head and a 496RC2 ball head. I also use it for the spotting scope. The legs were fully extended parallel to the target on concrete slab. the camera was of course connected with the quick plate. 

Now that you mentioned that, i wonder if the plastic body on the 60D would create that issue??? Hmmm

thanks again for the suggestion, i will double check it all. When i purchased the camera I ran the same tests and also a backfocus check with both lenses. There was and still is a slight back focus issue. Of course with my limited ability and test equipment I considered that to be a small matter. My mistake was using the target at 30 feet, little did i know the problem is worse the farther the distance.

Since the subjects i enjoyed taking pictures of are more than 30 feet my results were not very good. There were enough good photos (1 out of 50) to make me think it was me and not the camera, its the camera. 

I could not be certain, but it seemed as if you were using AF modes AI Focus and AI Servo for your AF focus testing.  Neither mode will alway wait for a focus lock prior to firing the shutter.  For this reason, One Shot AF mode is the best mode to use for AF focus testing.

It is also difficult to determine if a camera/lens combo is front or back focusing when the test target is parallel to the plane of ideal focus.  The focus target needs to be at an angle to the plane of focus.  A focus target parallel to the focus plane is useful for noise measurements, but not very useful for evaluating front/back focusing.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Had this blurry photo problem from day one on 60D and 70-300 IS USM 4/5.6 at 300mm over 50 feet. Exchanged lens for another one ..."

You are not going to like my answer but this sounds like the problem is ... you. You need to do a precise test to validate or  eliminate the camera.  You, "Exchanged lens for another one ..." already eliminated the lens(s).

I was not aware that Canon still serviced the 60D, perhaps they do. I would not pay $700 to do what I can do myself.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Two things, it is not likely a setting and it is not being 66. Misfocus is one thing I thought of right off. It happens way more often then you think. A sample photo from you would be of great help.

First, reset the 60D back to defaults.  Select just the center focus point. Turn all the others off. Nice day, sunny daylight, set the mode to P, ISO 100 and try it outside. Take a few shots. Use all your lenses.  If it works, it works and we need to check out what you are doing. Perhaps a change in your technique is warranted. A sample photo from you would be of great help.

EB

Where is the post so I can see what you are refering to?  I did not see it. Does it have samples with it?  It needs an example.

EB

In this thread?  There are no photos I can see! Put a link here to them.

EB
Announcements