cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon utilities usefulness

Lynnea1941
Contributor

I have a new Canon camera and so have the opportunity to use the utilties.  But, I wonder if I need them.  I use DIM, Digital Image Mover for transferring images and creating folders according to my naming style.  The program can handle videos as well and digital images.  I use Adobe CC and Lightroom so I have plenty of editing tools at hand.

What can the Canon utilities do for me? 

7 REPLIES 7

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Nothing your current software won’t do. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

shanneba
Apprentice

The EOS utility can transfer the lens profile data for optimization.

You can also transfer picture styles to the camera like the "Autum hues" you can download from Canaon.

You can use a computer connected to the camera for "remote" shooting.

It will also allow interval shooting. (like time lapse)

With remote shooting the photos can be transvered directly to the computer.

You can register 20 tracks of background music to the camera (wav format)

"You can register 20 tracks of background music to the camera (wav format)"

Is there a thread on this?

I don't know about a thread here about registering wav files but the EOS Utility Manual shows how to do it on page 75-

http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/4/0300023304/06/eu-3-7-0-w-im-en.pdf

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Very true, but if one is using Lightroom I am assuming they are shooting RAW (or should be) so all of those lens and Picture Style features are moot since Lightroom won’t recognize them.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" I use Adobe CC and Lightroom so I have plenty of editing tools at hand."

They are all you need.  Nothing is better nor more accepted by the industry.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@Lynnea1941 wrote:

I have a new Canon camera and so have the opportunity to use the utilties.  But, I wonder if I need them.  I use DIM, Digital Image Mover for transferring images and creating folders according to my naming style.  The program can handle videos as well and digital images.  I use Adobe CC and Lightroom so I have plenty of editing tools at hand.

What can the Canon utilities do for me? 

I use EOS Utility to synchronize the time setting on my cameras with that of my computer. That ensures that if you're using more than one camera, or more than one person is shooting, the pictures can be accurately sorted into chronological order.

I've also used it as a quick way of swapping work and home copyright notices. (You have to remember to do it, though!)

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements