cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon m50 not connecting to pc using usb cable

MidasL
Apprentice

Hey folks!

I recently bought a Canon m50 and I absolutely love it. However, now that I'm about to transfer my photos to my computer it won't work. I have heard of the wireless transfer method, but in order to do that I have to connect to the camera and will therefore not have any internet connection while the transfer is being made. If this is the only way to do it I have to say that it would be a huge bummer.

I want to transfer my photos simply by a USB cable, but for some reason my laptop won't recognize the device? Whenever I have a cable from my camera to laptop, the camera screen will freeze. I'm using windows 10.

Do anyone know a solution to this?

Thank you in advance!

4 REPLIES 4

Mark35mmF2
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi MidasL

There are a couple things on the computer end which may cause this. The first thing I would check is if any of your antivirus software, including Windows Defender, has any limitations on the USB connections or any warnings about the EOS Utility software. The computer can sometimes get a little defensive with devices like cameras since they have options to be controlled from the computer and can make changes to files by the nature of image transfer. The next thing to do is make sure you are running the latest Windows 10 update in case this was a temporary compatibility conflict which has since been patched.

It may also be a good idea to try another USB cable but since your camera is recognizing the connection I am less sure of this being the cause.

Completely turning off my anti virus software did not change anything.

My pc is running on the latest version of windows 10.

A different USB cable caused the exact same problem.

Your camera should be turned off when you connect via USB cable.  Where did you get your USB cable?  Some USB cables do not transfer data, and may have those pins shorted together.  Download the Help Guide here.

http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/8/0300029808/04/eosm50-hg2-en.pdf 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Johnstergood
Apprentice

I'm so happy to tell you first turn off Wifi and any other wireless communication feature like Bluetooth and NFC. And if it still won't work this may sounds silly but just plug your camera in with no card in it, this finally fixed the issue for me after trying so much. 

Announcements