cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon cameras and focus confirmation chip adapters!!

jamesbrown12
Apprentice

I’ve been trying to get my beautiful Nikkor 50 1.2 AIS on my canon cameras with no luck. More specifically I used an adapter with a focus confirmation chip so that I could get the focus “beep”. Basically I would get focus as close as I could with the viewfinder and then hold down AF-on (I’m a back focus guy) and gradually rack focus back and forth until I heard the confirmation beep. Usually took about half a second to two seconds max. It worked flawlessly, until it didn’t. For some reason my camera hated the adapter and gave me a lens communication error after a few shots. I tried everything and eventually left my beautiful lens on the shelf because nothing worked

Now that I have an eos R, I want to use the brilliant little focus guide system (the overlapping arrows). I put it on my R when I got it and it worked flawlessly! And then, of course, communications error. And yes, I have it set up to release without lens. That was the first thing I tried.

Out of frustration I tore the chip off the adapter thinking I could use focus guide without a communicating lens (really all the chip does is tell the camera it has a lens on it). After tearing it off and trying again, the focus guide no longer shows up as the camera thinks there’s no lens on it.

Aghhhhhhh! Any thoughts on what I can do here?

8 REPLIES 8

Ray-uk
Whiz

The best focus confirm chips have gold plated contacts but some of the cheaper ones have tinned (silver coloured) connectors, these are more prone to dodgy connections with the camera thereby causing communication errors.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Doesn't the EOS-R have focus peaking?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"... thoughts on what I can do here?"

The best solution is the Canon RF 50mm f/1.2L USM Lens. Sell the Nikkor, you are in the Canon world now.  Be happy because the Canon RF 50mm f/1.2L USM Lens is a better lens besides.

There will be no issues. No adapters.  Just as good to better IQ and performance.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

You just need to get a better AF chip. Search out the "Dandelion" or "Euro" chip.

Mike Sowsun

@MikeSowsun wrote:

You just need to get a better AF chip. Search out the "Dandelion" or "Euro" chip.

I'm with Ernie.  Time to use a native lens.  

The old Nikkor seems more trouble than it is worth.  It also lacks the coatings that "digital lenses" have to reduce light reflecting off of th sensor assembly back up into the body of the lens.  Film does not create reflections, so there was no need to design the glass to minimize it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"The old Nikkor seems more trouble than it is worth."

Absolutely the way to go. Nobody likes adapters and they are always a compromise. I have done it every way you can imagine. Time to cut your loses and go Canon since you already are 1/2 way there. That new R 50mm f1.2 lens is outstanding.

EB

@Waddizzle wrote:

@MikeSowsun wrote:

I'm with Ernie.  Time to use a native lens.  

The old Nikkor seems more trouble than it is worth.  It also lacks the coatings that "digital lenses" have to reduce light reflecting off of th sensor assembly back up into the body of the lens.  Film does not create reflections, so there was no need to design the glass to minimize it.

I agree with Ernie and Waddizzle. You can keep beating that dead horse until the time you've spent is worth the cost of a new Canon lens, then give up and buy the Canon lens anyway. It's a way of getting one lens for the price of two.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"It's a way of getting one lens for the price of two."   Smiley Very Happy  Good one there Robert.

EB
Announcements