cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Won’t Repair

Chloepressman
Apprentice
Hi there - I have a canon 60d that I purchased in 2012. The shutter stopped working and I took it in to be evaluated in 2018. I couldn’t afford the repair at that time, so I waited until now to take it in again. When I sent it in this time, Canon said the service warranty has run out and they cannot fix it. It wasn’t a problem of how much the repair would cost or anything. Is this the end of the line for me or should I take it to an unauthorized repair place?
10 REPLIES 10

@Chloepressman wrote:
Hi there - I have a canon 60d that I purchased in 2012. The shutter stopped working and I took it in to be evaluated in 2018. I couldn’t afford the repair at that time, so I waited until now to take it in again. When I sent it in this time, Canon said the service warranty has run out and they cannot fix it. It wasn’t a problem of how much the repair would cost or anything. Is this the end of the line for me or should I take it to an unauthorized repair place?

One of the problems in dealing with Canon is that they rend to discontinue support for their products before those ptoducts' expected lifetimes expire. So yes, if you want your camera fixed, you'll probably have to take it to an independent repair facility. But some of those are competent and affordable. Just be sure to check on them (e.g., by asking here) first.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

The 60D is a fairly old body at this point (released a decade ago) with a low used price and it is one that I would consider uneconomical to repair given the cost of parts plus installation for a shutter mechanism with the good possibility that other components may fail soon.  If finances permit, something newer in the Canon line makes sense or as an alternative consider buying a used model of something in the Canon EOS "two digit" line of cameras.  There have been huge advances in sensor technology since your 60D was made, particularly in terms of lower noise/higher iso performance and putting money into a repair is a questionable choice.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

@wq9nsc wrote:

The 60D is a fairly old body at this point (released a decade ago) with a low used price and it is one that I would consider uneconomical to repair given the cost of parts plus installation for a shutter mechanism with the good possibility that other components may fail soon.  If finances permit, something newer in the Canon line makes sense or as an alternative consider buying a used model of something in the Canon EOS "two digit" line of cameras.  There have been huge advances in sensor technology since your 60D was made, particularly in terms of lower noise/higher iso performance and putting money into a repair is a questionable choice.

Rodger

And if you decide to go with a used camera, don't buy a 70D. On paper, it was s significant improvement over the 60D, but many of them have suffered from an electrical problem that requires an expensive repair. The 80D and 90D are much better bets, especially if you can find a refurbished unit at the Canon online store.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thanks so much - I have a couple other questions. I am working doing social media, PR, and marketing for a group of restaurants in San Francisco. I'm inside restaurants taking photos and need something that will be good in really low light without flash. This makes me think I should probably get a full-frame camera. Do you have any recommendations for an entry-level full-frame? 

Greetings,

Per the usual, Bob and Rodger have given EXCELLENT advice.  I also agree with the recommendation not to repair the the 60D.  

Do you need a FF camera?  Maybe not.  Your lens choices are a major part of performance and gaining quality images.  What lenses do you have now?  The 90D is a formidible APS-C body with excellend low light performance.

However, there is something to be said about larger sensors and low light perforrmance.  They are capable of capturing more light.  They can also give you better DOF in images shot at the same focal lengths.

Shooting indoors without a flash is possible.  You need a good, fast lens F2.8 or better.  In very dim lighting, a tripod or monopod is also helpful.  So thinking about how you will use the camera most of the time, what lenses you own now and what your budget is might be primary factors incluencing your purchase. Entry level FF, 6D2..  Love mine, does well in low light too.

Hope this helps

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@Chloepressman wrote:

Thanks so much - I have a couple other questions. I am working doing social media, PR, and marketing for a group of restaurants in San Francisco. I'm inside restaurants taking photos and need something that will be good in really low light without flash. This makes me think I should probably get a full-frame camera. Do you have any recommendations for an entry-level full-frame? 

Buy a high quality tripod.  You can shoot static scenes at low ISO, and use as long of a shutter speed as you need.  You can capture all of the ambient light without needing to use a flash.

You will not see much of a difference in image quality at low ISO values between a FF sensor body camera and an APS-C body camera.  The difference between the two types of bodies will be the angle of view when using the same focal length lens.  The FF body will give you a wider angle of view.

Canon has two entry level FF bodies, the EOS 6D Mark II, and the EOS RP.  Given the current crop of lens choices, I would go for the EOS 6D Mark II, if I had to choose between those two bodies.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

" I am working doing social media, PR, and marketing for a group of restaurants in San Francisco."

That statement alone tell me the 90D is the way to go.  Any job related requirement should have a totally reliable camera.

IMHO, forget the tripod idea.  You will grow to hate it. The less burdensome equipment you have to deal with in a PR job the better.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

It is much better to have a tripod in your car, than to be without one.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Is this the end of the line for me or should I take it to an unauthorized repair place?"

I don't see how it could be the end of the line for you but it could be for your 60D. Midwest Camera Repair can and will fix it.  Give them a call for a quote.

If you decide to go new or used you want the 90D.  One reason it will use any lens you already have and any FF camera will not necessarily. That said and the truly fantastic 90D ,you should also buy the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens or perhaps the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens for Canon EF. This combo will most likely do what you need but remember all photographic gear has a limit.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements