cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon RP focus pecking

wrk4no1
Contributor

I have a good amount of canon lenses to go along with my 5dmkiii that i've been shooting for years. So my wife bought me this RP camera body as a bday gift. I bought the lens adapter so that i can use my other lenses. I noticed with my 70-200 f2.8 IS II it seems like the camera wants to continuoisly auto focus on where i point it with out me doing anything? I'm sure i am not disabling something but not sure where? Any help would be apprecated.

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@wrk4no1 wrote:

I have a good amount of canon lenses to go along with my 5dmkiii that i've been shooting for years. So my wife bought me this RP camera body as a bday gift. I bought the lens adapter so that i can use my other lenses. I noticed with my 70-200 f2.8 IS II it seems like the camera wants to continuoisly auto focus on where i point it with out me doing anything? I'm sure i am not disabling something but not sure where? Any help would be apprecated.

Thanks

That "Continuoud AF" behavior seems to be common characteristic of Canon mirrorless bodies.  There should be a menu option by that name to disable the behavior.  I think it is often an unnecessary drain on the battery.  You don't need it when you are shooting in One Shot mode.  But, it is good to have when you are using AI Servo to shoot action photography.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Lotus7
Rising Star

As Waddizzle mentioned, Continuous Focus is a Menu controlled option.  Both Servo Focus Mode (how focusing behaves when you partially press the shutter button) and Continuous Focus (focusing between shots).  This is discussed in the EOS RP Owner's Manual on pp.199.  Both functions are accessed via the "Camera" Tab (RED) page-7.

Additionally there are other focus mode functions that can be programmed using the Custom Function-II page.  It's possible to program a control dial or button to toggle between Servo and non-servo modes and it's possible to program focus methods that are different for each of the autofocus patterns (See RP Manual pp.533).Focus Mode Control.jpg

Announcements