cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon RP/R5 timed self portrait with autofocus, multiple shots

CormacFabiano
Apprentice

Hello,maybe someone could help me with this specific pickle.

I’d like to do a timed self portrait with face/eye tracking. Idea is to setup camera on tripod, start self timer on 10 seconds and let camera take multiple shots, all with focus automatically locked on my eye/face.

Is this possible on canon rp? Or canon r5, as I’m planning to upgrade soon anyway.

My main concern is how would camera autofocus between takes when i would move little bit.

Example: Camera set up on tripod with framed scene of a car, i get out of the car when times goes off and i want camera to make multiple shots of me stepping out of the car and looking to the side. Is this possible to do?

Thank you very much for your time.

2 REPLIES 2

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Interesting use case.

I tried to think of all the ways you might be able to accomplish this.  I don't know how successful eye-tracking would be in this case.  I doubt time-lapse would accomplish this either. 

Drive mode is going to give you a high or low speed burst of shots.  You won't be able to get out of the car fast enough.   

Options might include:

Using a smart phone or wireless remote for remote shooting

Using focus lock.  In this scenario you would lock focus on an estimated focal point and shoot.  You could experiment with aperture to control foreground / background focus. 

or

Shoot a short movie of yourself performing the desired action and grabbing frames from the clip.  This might give you ther most options. 

Let's see what others have to say.      

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

If want to capture a regular still image, then you are going to need some type of remote shutter control.  

FACT:  The camera will not autofocus in photo mode without the shutter being pressed.  You must tell the camera to autofocus.  It does not have an auto pilot.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements