Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

Canon R6 Sensor Banding? Shooting in C-Log, Canon RF 24-70 2.8, ISO: 400 SHUTTER: 1/125

[ Edited ]

Canon R6 Senor Banding (C-LOG)

VIP

Re: Canon R6 Sensor Banding?

[ Edited ]

If this is a screenshot from social media, then I would not use this as a metric for image quality.  Banding is most often caused by heavy image processing of [JPG] files, something which is standard practice in social media.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Doctor told me to get out and walk, so I bought a Canon."
New Contributor

Sorry about this lack luster of a post, I have provided some info. This was a video shot in CLOG, 4K 60 slowed down to 24fps, also used a Tiffen BPM 1/4 diffusion filter. All the lighting was natural no light bulbs in this shot, just the window lighting. I just noticed this now with some specific shots with back lighting, I don't know if it's a sensor issue with the 4K over sampling or how I might be grading the CLOG footage but I have everything corrected.

VIP

[ Edited ]

@ArolfM wrote:

Sorry about this lack luster of a post, I have provided some info. This was a video shot in CLOG, 4K 60 slowed down to 24fps, also used a Tiffen BPM 1/4 diffusion filter. All the lighting was natural no light bulbs in this shot, just the window lighting. I just noticed this now with some specific shots with back lighting, I don't know if it's a sensor issue with the 4K over sampling or how I might be grading the CLOG footage but I have everything corrected.

If it does not happen all of the time, under all circumstances, then the issue could [not] be the sensor.  Could it?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New Contributor

Re: Canon R6 Sensor Banding? Shooting in C-Log, Canon RF 24-70 2.8, ISO: 400 SHUTTER: 1/125

I don’t know yet, I have gone on Reddit and one redditor said that it was my way of bringing up the shadow details in CLOG and that showed the “banding”
VIP

Re: Canon R6 Sensor Banding? Shooting in C-Log, Canon RF 24-70 2.8, ISO: 400 SHUTTER: 1/125

@ArolfM wrote:
I don’t know yet, I have gone on Reddit and one redditor said that it was my way of bringing up the shadow details in CLOG and that showed the “banding”

Again.  Logic says if it only happens some of the time, then problem is not the sensor, or the entire camera for that matter.

As I said above, banding comes from over processing of images.

VIP

[ Edited ]

"bringing up the shadow details"

Some of the banding pattern in the area you enclosed appears to follow the shape of the person's hair pattern; light and dark pattern of how the hair laid and the lighting on it.

Depending on the shooting conditions there may be little or no details in the shadow area. Brightening the shadows won't add data where there is none, so that is a likely explanation  by the redditor.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, MX472, LR Classic