cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 Icon Questions

masterbla
Apprentice

Hello guys,

i bought today two R5 and so fare i'm happy with it. the only thing that i wonder is: why is the symbol for serial shooting (fast) on the info screen on one R5 green, and at the other camera is white but its just blinking nostop. is this normal? the lenses are a RF15-35mm 2.8 and a RF70-200mm 2.8 witch are conectet to the cameras.

sorry my english is not the best!

Thanks for any answers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Lotus7
Rising Star

No apologies needed for your English.  🙂

By "serial shooting" I presume you mean what Canon calls Continious High Speed Shooting or "H" or "H+ Mode"

A flashing white symbol means "H" or "H+" modes are not available. 

That can happen for many reasons including:

* the specific lens: (some lenses don't support H+ operation incliuding many older EF lenses and some RF lenses.

(see pp. 896 of the R5 Advanced User Guide booklet English Edition).   Does the white blinking symbol stay on the same R5 if you switch lenses?

* having "flicker control" enabled

* having Dual Pixel RAW enabled

* using an older LP-E6N battery rather than a fresh LP-E6NH

* having too low a shutter speed setting and in some cases the autofocus mode setting

* having too low a battery charge level. (fully charge your batteries and try again)

Go through all the set up menus and confirm that both cameras have the same settings.

For H+ a good starting point for initial H+ operation settings is: shutter at 1/500 or faster, lens at widest opening (use auto ISO to set exposure), One Shot autofocus, image stabilization OFF.  If your subject is moving (likely) use Servo AF, but expect a lower burst rate.

The R5 is a wonderful camera, but is complex with many, many "custom" setttings that "interact" with functions that may seem unrelated. Unfortunately, the supplied manuals don't always explain, or even mention those interactions. 

If you are planning using your R5's for photographing any auto sports events, be sure to download and install the new firmware 1.5 release which is scheduled for December 2, 2021.  It will include a "race car recognition" auto focus & tracking setting.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings.

What menu, screen, item?

Please provide a page number and reference:

c003.pdf (start.canon)

serial shooting (fast) comes back with zero hits.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@shadowsports thank you for your post, but lotus7 just put me in the right direction. 🙂
btw i was refering to the H+ Item on the INFO screen (not a screen in the menu).

Lotus7
Rising Star

No apologies needed for your English.  🙂

By "serial shooting" I presume you mean what Canon calls Continious High Speed Shooting or "H" or "H+ Mode"

A flashing white symbol means "H" or "H+" modes are not available. 

That can happen for many reasons including:

* the specific lens: (some lenses don't support H+ operation incliuding many older EF lenses and some RF lenses.

(see pp. 896 of the R5 Advanced User Guide booklet English Edition).   Does the white blinking symbol stay on the same R5 if you switch lenses?

* having "flicker control" enabled

* having Dual Pixel RAW enabled

* using an older LP-E6N battery rather than a fresh LP-E6NH

* having too low a shutter speed setting and in some cases the autofocus mode setting

* having too low a battery charge level. (fully charge your batteries and try again)

Go through all the set up menus and confirm that both cameras have the same settings.

For H+ a good starting point for initial H+ operation settings is: shutter at 1/500 or faster, lens at widest opening (use auto ISO to set exposure), One Shot autofocus, image stabilization OFF.  If your subject is moving (likely) use Servo AF, but expect a lower burst rate.

The R5 is a wonderful camera, but is complex with many, many "custom" setttings that "interact" with functions that may seem unrelated. Unfortunately, the supplied manuals don't always explain, or even mention those interactions. 

If you are planning using your R5's for photographing any auto sports events, be sure to download and install the new firmware 1.5 release which is scheduled for December 2, 2021.  It will include a "race car recognition" auto focus & tracking setting.

Hi Lotus7

thank you very mutch for your support! yes it has indeed something to do with the settings of the Shutter (Mecanicle, electric, etc.). 🙂

it seams that the camera is only able to perform in H+ with the pure elctrical shutter.

Yes, you will find that for "H+ Mode" (up to 20 fps) you must use the electronic shutter option. 

However "H mode" can function up to 12 fps using the mechanical shutter with a fast aperture operation lens, relatively constant exposure, 1/1000 sec or faster shutter speed, and reasonable traking of moving subjects.

Again, keep in mind thet the camera will monitor available battery charge level and if the battery charge is too low (and that can sometinmes occur at an indicated 40% or 50% remaining charge) the "H" mode will slow down.  Apparently the mechanical shutter uses a lot of current during bursts and a low battery cannot support that at high framing rates.

Hope you enjoy your R5 cameras.  The R5  + RF 70-200 f/2.8 is a fantastic combination. 

Announcements