cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon R5 "ERROR 70" screen jitters battery pull

ImageAndFilm
Enthusiast

I have had 5 ERROR 70 errors in only a few hours of use. The screen starts lagging and then jittering. The camera freezes up. If you turn off the camera the ER 70 comes on and requires a battery pull. A problem with the "image" is really vague. Also the cards have been different cards so Im not sure if it is a card issue. 

*update 

The jittering is the screen shaking back and forth. It's like ibis wobble but the entire screen. It shakes slow at first then speeds up really fast.. It's happening every few hours of use. I will try getting a video of it. 

Any thoughts?

9 REPLIES 9

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Call Canon after they come back from computer system purgatory.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@ImageAndFilm wrote:

I have had 5 ERROR 70 errors in only a few hours of use. The screen starts lagging and then jittering. The camera freezes up. If you turn off the camera the ER 70 comes on and requires a battery pull. A problem with the "image" is really vague. Also the cards have been different cards so Im not sure if it is a card issue. 

Any thoughts?

Are you using it with new RF glass?

Otherwise, it might be one of the following components... lens, adapter, card, battery, (PCB) worst case.

If you determine its a component, you can replace it, re-format it, or older lens (try updating its FW), etc.

Lets be optimistic.  In all likelyhood, its a communications issue.  Check your stuff.  Be systematic, take notes and keep a record of your tests.  I would quickly exhaust (lens, card, adapter or battery).   New $4K camera.  I'd give it one chance, and one chance only.  If it continues to happen under varied conditions and with different gear, i'd return it.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ImageAndFilm
Enthusiast
Brand new RF 24-70mm. Different batteries (both brand new). Different cards this far.

I was trying to find the firmware. And see the release notes for R5 and lens. But can't find it w/ the US site being hacked

ImageAndFilm
Enthusiast
Also it seems to be something to do with ibis. The image on the screen starts jittering. Like shaking violently. It will either error out. Or I turn off the camera. The er70 comes up. Then it requires a battery pull to reset.

It's rather strange.

My comment about the lens was geared towards non-RF glass.  There is no FW for a new RF 24-70 today I am aware of .

Change of plan.  Reset your camera.  Set up from scratch. If you get the Err70 again I know what I'd do.

You can call Canon if you want, but I have less patience for this type of thing after I've spent that much cash and have ruled out

Lens

Card

Battery

(leaving) the body

This is the only result I found searching google for "R5 Error 70"  German forum you can translate to english

https://www.dslr-forum.de/showthread.php?t=2031088

End result.....  New camera was the solution. 

Not saying this is your issue, but I'd have a return queued up if this happened more than once in my first week of ownership.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I agree, it sounds like the IBIS, or more likely the gyros that determine vibration.

ImageAndFilm
Enthusiast
@shadowsports just found out there is a firmware update for the lens. It has to do with the ibis /is integration. Hopefully that is the resolution...

Todays 2 hour shoot didn't produce the issue. I was hoping to upload a video. But I have a few more shoots this week. I will update the lens tonight

Greetins,

Good new for you indeed if you don't have v1.0.7

Download here Canon Europe:

https://www.canon.pl/support/consumer_products/products/cameras/rf-lenses/rf24-70mm_f28_l_is_usm.htm...

Released in July - Just last month:

The firmware version 1.0.7 includes the

following improvements: ・The lens image stabilizer function works with the camera image stabilizer function, which allows for better results in this range on the EOS R5 / EOS R6 models.
The firmware update to version 1.0.7 is intended for lenses with software version 1.0.4
installed. If you have already installed lens firmware version 1.0.7, you do not need to perform an update. You can check the firmware version of the lens in the camera menu. For information on how to check the version, refer to your camera's user manual.
Before downloading the firmware, please read the instructions
carefully. Preparing for firmware
update: The downloaded folder contains firmware (RF023107.afu / file size: 2,883,636 bytes) and instructions for the software's update procedures (PDF in five languages: Japanese, English, French, Spanish, and Simplified Chinese).

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

OneZeroDM
Apprentice

Exact same thing happened to me today which brought me here, but different lens!!!  

About a few hours into a shoot this same jitter occured.  I stopped the recording, turned off the camera, saw the ERROR 70. and then brought everything back on and it didn't happen again.

We had to redo the take because of it.  

Canon R5 Original Firmware

Canon EF R Adaptor

Canon 70-200 IS 2.8. 

Recording in 4K 29.97

On the bright side, I was testing the camera out in the heat the other day next to a workhorse Canon 5D Mark III.  Both lasted two hours in 100 degree heat and the 5D for the first time ever gave me a heat warning.  Never saw one on the R5.  I was recording short clips (4-6 minutes) in 4K 29.97 and turning the camera off between interviews.  Felt great about it until today's jitter.

Announcements