cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon R5 question - Does Anti-Flicker work in Electronic Shutter mode?

SEmbrey
Contributor

I currently use a 5d MKIV. A large portion of my photographs are taken with the (so called) Silent Shutter in conjunction with Anti-Flicker, as Mechanical shutter can interefere with indoor infant/pet/cat-show/dog-show/ work.

It appears the R5 does not have a quiet Mechanical Shutter mode like the 5d MKIV, so my question is will the Anti-Flicker mode on the R5 work with Electronic shutter mode? 

8 REPLIES 8

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

It would seem not

98A229E0-FFB6-46C4-A770-BCC157E4C6D1.jpeg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thank you for the response! I was hoping for just one or two more frames a second in quiet shutter mode, along with the new sensor, of course. I have an R5 rental scheduled for November, but it looks more and more like I'll not be owning the R5 or any other Canon mirrorless camera in the future. It seems quite the oversight by Canon to remove a primary function available in the 5D MKIV from their new mirrorless line. It is rather stunning to me that they would not understand the power of Anti-Flicker and a quiet shutter working together. Thaks again!

@SEmbrey wrote:

Thank you for the response! I was hoping for just one or two more frames a second in quiet shutter mode, along with the new sensor, of course. I have an R5 rental scheduled for November, but it looks more and more like I'll not be owning the R5 or any other Canon mirrorless camera in the future. It seems quite the oversight by Canon to remove a primary function available in the 5D MKIV from their new mirrorless line. It is rather stunning to me that they would not understand the power of Anti-Flicker and a quiet shutter working together. Thaks again!

You do not understand how mirrorless cameras work.  All MILC bodies suffer banding in electronic shutter modes.  Some are worse than others,  Blame it on the physics of sampling data from an image sensor at real time.

In fact, the Canon MILC bodies seem to show banding the least.  Banding is why the camera has a mechanical shutter.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

While that's true, it goes past my overall point.

I was hoping that Canon would include a silent shutter mode for the Mechanical Shutter like they did with the MKIV, or if not, that Anti-Flicker in Electronic Shutter mode would stop flourescent lighting from ruining a significant amount of my photographs. If the latter is impossible, the former would have been prudent.

@SEmbrey wrote:

While that's true, it goes past my overall point.

I was hoping that Canon would include a silent shutter mode for the Mechanical Shutter like they did with the MKIV, or if not, that Anti-Flicker in Electronic Shutter mode would stop flourescent lighting from ruining a significant amount of my photographs. If the latter is impossible, the former would have been prudent.

Now, your goal posts are moving.  You asked about adding anti-flicker in electronic shutter mode.  Now you are asking for a "silent shutter mode" on the mechanical shutter.  I am little surprised that it is not included, but I can see why they skipped it.

BTW, a mechanical shutter opens to sample the light, closes, and then the CPU reads the data.  By waiting until flicker lights are at their peak before firing the shutter, the camera is theoretically able to minimize the effects of flicker lights.  Of course, having multiple light sources does not help the situation.

An electronic shutter reads the data at real time. There are two types of electronic shutters: the global shutter and the less costly rolling shutter.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough to start with.I initially asked about Anti-Flicker in Electronic Shutter mode because I was aware there was no "Silent" Mechanical Shutter mode. Anti-Flicker on the MK IV is very impressive! It was a significant impetus to upgrade from the 5D MK III. Rudy Winston touted it strongly in one of his introductory MK IV videos, and rightly so.

My Gear Acquisition Syndrome is disappointed, but my wallet will not be. If there is never a 5D MK V then I'll have to get another 5D MK IV when the one I own finally gives out.

Thank you for your responses!

By my own ear, I would say that the regular mechanical "non-silent" shutter on the EOS R5 is quieter than the "silent shutter" on the EOS 5D Mark IV and by a good margin. Anti-flicker functionality would be available with the regular mechanical shutter on the EOS R5 of course. I would recommend that you try it when you get a chance to see if it would be quiet enough for your intended use.

ThanksPLee! I've already placed a rental order with Lens Rentals and will give it a workout first weekend of November.

Announcements