cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon R5 Adapter

aniket80
Contributor

Hello,

Just bought the Canon R5 and connected my EF lenses with RF-EF Adapter. Now there is a little play between the Camera ->Adapter and from Adapter -> EF Lens. It's not much but can feel it if deliberately try to move.

Is this normal? anyone having the same experience?

Also, I am attaching longer lenses to the adapter, so it won't put any pressure on the adapter, right? I am just a little paranoid I guess knowing there is an adapter that is in between holding the camera and lens.

Thanks in advance.

13 REPLIES 13

@FloridaDrafter wrote:

@aniket80 wrote:

The third party adapter may not be manufactured to the same tolerances as a genuine Canon adapter.

Where is the rotation?  Between camera and adapter?  Between lens and adapter?  Both?

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Rotation-

Between camera and adapter?  -> No

Between lens and adapter?  -> Yes

The rotation is definitely between adapter to Lenses.

Tried with Sigma 150-600 and Canon 70-300... both have a play from adapter - Lens

We have a Canon ring adapter for our R6 and it fits snug on both sides with no wiggle. We shoot with a variety of Canon lenses, and they all fit nicely with no play. If I had any play, my concern would be weather sealing and dust getting in.

My EF lens have a very slight motion when installed on my 1D X; about the same feel as the play in the main dial on top of the camera. The pin on the camera body is round and the slot on the lens is a slight oblong shape. As an engineer I would be concerned if there was absolutely no motion because there would be no way to be sure that the pin was fully engaged or stuck partially engaged. The rotation is in the same plane as the lens mount so it won't affect the sealing gasket. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

@FloridaDrafter wrote:
We have a Canon ring adapter for our R6 and it fits snug on both sides with no wiggle. We shoot with a variety of Canon lenses, and they all fit nicely with no play. If I had any play, my concern would be weather sealing and dust getting in.

My EF lens have a very slight motion when installed on my 1D X; about the same feel as the play in the main dial on top of the camera. The pin on the camera body is round and the slot on the lens is a slight oblong shape. As an engineer I would be concerned if there was absolutely no motion because there would be no way to be sure that the pin was fully engaged or stuck partially engaged. The rotation is in the same plane as the lens mount so it won't affect the sealing gasket. 

We have never had play in any of our gear (camera to lens), from film to three rebels to the 7D2, 5D4, and R6. You can hear the lens "snap" into place, so I assume that means it's firmly attached and the pin is fully seated.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

@FloridaDrafter wrote:

We have never had play in any of our gear (camera to lens), from film to three rebels to the 7D2, 5D4, and R6. You can hear the lens "snap" into place, so I assume that means it's firmly attached and the pin is fully seated.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

I do hear the click when putting my lens on the adapter though. but there is still some play. Have ordered the canon adapter which should arrive prolly next week or so. it is on back order.

Will update once I have that adapter. 

Thank you all for the great replies and helping me get the grip on the situation.

aniket80
Contributor
Update-
I received my canon rf to ef adapter just now. And guess what? There is absolutely no play, either between Camera-Adapter, Adapter-Lens. It fits snugly and feels more sturdier than my other 3rd party.
So happy I bought original canon adapter.

Thank you all for your support. Appreciate it greatly.
Announcements