cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon R5 Adapter

aniket80
Contributor

Hello,

Just bought the Canon R5 and connected my EF lenses with RF-EF Adapter. Now there is a little play between the Camera ->Adapter and from Adapter -> EF Lens. It's not much but can feel it if deliberately try to move.

Is this normal? anyone having the same experience?

Also, I am attaching longer lenses to the adapter, so it won't put any pressure on the adapter, right? I am just a little paranoid I guess knowing there is an adapter that is in between holding the camera and lens.

Thanks in advance.

13 REPLIES 13

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Longer lenses will exert a higher moments of inertia on a camera mount, and should be supported.  

That word salad means the further the center of gravity is away from the camera body, the more torque is created on the lens mount.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@aniket80 wrote:

Hello,

Just bought the Canon R5 and connected my EF lenses with RF-EF Adapter. Now there is a little play between the Camera ->Adapter and from Adapter -> EF Lens. It's not much but can feel it if deliberately try to move.

Is this normal? anyone having the same experience?

Also, I am attaching longer lenses to the adapter, so it won't put any pressure on the adapter, right? I am just a little paranoid I guess knowing there is an adapter that is in between holding the camera and lens.

Thanks in advance.

Rotational play or up and down play?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Rotational play or up and down play?

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Rotational play

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
That is not abnormal if it is only a little bit. When the lens is rotated and locked into position a pin goes into a slot.

If there wasn’t a slight clearance the pin could jam.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

That is not abnormal if it is only a little bit. When the lens is rotated and locked into position a pin goes into a slot.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

yeah, it is a little bit. I currently have a Viltrox adapter. Would it be less if I use Canon Adapter instead?

I just don't want to risk anything happening to this expensive camera.

@aniket80 wrote:

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

yeah, it is a little bit. I currently have a Viltrox adapter. Would it be less if I use Canon Adapter instead?

I just don't want to risk anything happening to this expensive camera.

It all depends on the tolerances. It won't damage the camera.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

". . . it is a little bit. I currently have a Viltrox adapter. Would it be less if I use Canon Adapter instead?

I just don't want to risk anything happening to this expensive camera."

The third party adapter may not be manufactured to the same tolerances as a genuine Canon adapter.

Where is the rotation?  Between camera and adapter?  Between lens and adapter?  Both?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

The third party adapter may not be manufactured to the same tolerances as a genuine Canon adapter.

Where is the rotation?  Between camera and adapter?  Between lens and adapter?  Both?

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Rotation-

Between camera and adapter?  -> No

Between lens and adapter?  -> Yes

The rotation is definitely between adapter to Lenses.

Tried with Sigma 150-600 and Canon 70-300... both have a play from adapter - Lens

@aniket80 wrote:

Rotation-

Between camera and adapter?  -> No

Between lens and adapter?  -> Yes

The rotation is definitely between adapter to Lenses.

Tried with Sigma 150-600 and Canon 70-300... both have a play from adapter - Lens

We have a Canon ring adapter for our R6 and it fits snug on both sides with no wiggle. We shoot with a variety of Canon lenses, and they all fit nicely with no play. If I had any play, my concern would be weather sealing and dust getting in.

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.
Announcements