cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon R AF Point Display

AmritWadhwa
Apprentice

I need some help. I believe it is a bug in Canon R but please help me.

1. My settings:- One Shot, Single AF point.

2. I half press the shutter and focus on a point. Let us call it POINT A.

3. I recompose the picture. Green box moves the camera movement and does not stay on where I focussed. Let us call it POINT B.

4. I click.

When I review the picture,  Focus is on Point A but the display on Camera and DPP shows that AF point is Point B.

Canon, please help.

Thanks,

Amrit

9 REPLIES 9

Tim
Authority

AmritWadhwa, 

It sounds as though the camera is displaying multiple AF points simultaneously which is normal for the camera.  As long as one AF point is displayed on the subject, you can take the picture. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@AmritWadhwa wrote:

3. I recompose the picture. Green box moves the camera movement and does not stay on where I focussed. Let us call it POINT B.

4. I click.

When I review the picture,  Focus is on Point A but the display on Camera and DPP shows that AF point is Point B.

Canon, please help.

Thanks,

Amrit

When you lock in focus with One Shot AF, the AF point that locked focus is what will be recorded in the EXIF data.  For as long as you keep the shutter half-pressed, that same AF point will remain locked in.  

You can recompose the shot, and the same AF point will still be reported as locked in, even though the locked AF point is no longer over the subject.  In fact, you could turn completely around, and take the photo, and the same AF point will report as having been locked in focus.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@AmritWadhwa wrote:

4. I click.

Canon, please help.

Thanks,

Amrit

When you lock in focus with One Shot AF, the AF point that locked focus is what will be recorded in the EXIF data.  For as long as you keep the shutter half-pressed, that same AF point will remain locked in.  

You can recompose the shot, and the same AF point will still be reported as locked in, even though the locked AF point is no longer over the subject.  In fact, you could turn completely around, and take the photo, and the same AF point will report as having been locked in focus.

In my case, the AF point is the last one and NOT the locked on. That is why I ask this question. Is this normal behavior?

“In my case, the AF point is the last one and NOT the locked on. That is why I ask this question. Is this normal behavior?”

Hmm, it sounds like you are understanding what I am saying.  

Once you lock an AF point in One Shot mode.  It does not change until you release the shutter.  Once an AF point has been locked, the camera stops refocusing.  It stays locked locked at that focus setting.  Which AF point actually locked focus is now irrelevant because the camera has stopped focusing.  It’s misssion has been accomplished. 

@Waddizzle wrote:

“In my case, the AF point is the last one and NOT the locked on. That is why I ask this question. Is this normal behavior?”

Once you lock an AF point in One Shot mode.  It does not change until you release the shutter.  Once an AF point has been locked, the camera stops refocusing.  It stays locked locked at that focus setting.  Which AF point actually locked focus is now irrelevant because the camera has stopped focusing.  It’s misssion has been accomplished. 

This is correct AF point is not relevant when the focus is locked. But in EXIF data, it showed the last point instead of Locked point. According to Canon it is normal behvior. 

@AmritWadhwa wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

This is correct AF point is not relevant when the focus is locked. But in EXIF data, it showed the last point instead of Locked point. According to Canon it is normal behvior. 

Post an image with the EXIF data that demonstrates your problem.  The last point and locked point should be one and the same.

If you are expecting the AF point to move as you recompose the camera, then that assumption is incorrect.  Once you local an AF point in One Shot mode, it will stay locked until you release the shutter.  The same AF point stays locked, even if you recompose the shot.

If you lock focus on a subject in AI Servo mode with all AF points enabled, then focus you should stay locked on the subject as you recompose the shot.

4. I click.

————————————————————-

Between step 2 and step 3 you are releasing the shutter from being half pressed, and so the green box reappears.  When you press the shutter again it refocus at where the green bos is located, which is a new subject under the same Af point.

@Waddizzle wrote:

4. I click.

————————————————————-

Between step 2 and step 3 you are releasing the shutter from being half pressed, and so the green box reappears.  When you press the shutter again it refocus at where the green bos is located, which is a new subject under the same Af point.

Hello,

I am not releasing the shutter. Green Box moves with the camera movement on recompose while shutter is half pressed. The point where I started or half pressed that stays in focus but the Green Box moves. EXIF records the new location and NOT the focussed location. Try it please.

@AmritWadhwa wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

4. I click.

————————————————————-

Hello,

I am not releasing the shutter. Green Box moves with the camera movement on recompose while shutter is half pressed. The point where I started or half pressed that stays in focus but the Green Box moves. EXIF records the new location and NOT the focussed location. Try it please.

That is how it is supposed to work in One Shot mode.  The green box stays locked in until YOU tell the camera to refocus.

Announcements