cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Picture styles affect raw

hdoylephoto
Apprentice
I have done a lot of research and every source tells me that picture styles do not affect raw images. I did a test comparing the neutral and standard profiles and imported into Lightroom and I noticed a significant difference. Is there a way to change this? I am using the EOS Rp
15 REPLIES 15

"So far as I'm aware, no other camera setting will have any impact on the 'RAW' data itself."

I said that a dozen times.  The only effect the camera settings have is how the editor displays it. It is a stating point, if you will,  as is, "(I) did *not* tell it to de-mosaic the image.  I did tell it to auto-stretch ..."  You altered the Raw data for a viewable image!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Lightroom 9.2 now allows the camera picture style setting to be recognized and applied during RAW file import.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM-XcIbHQTs

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

BTW....................Smiley Happy

All DSLR photos start out as Raw data files

When you shoot jpg, the camera converts the Raw data file into a viewable jpg image before storing it on the memory card. On the other hand, if you shoot Raw format, the camera saves the Raw data but the camera also creates a jpg image and saves it as a tag for editors like LR.

EB

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

BTW........#2

Raw data files are larger than jpg because they do not get compressed.

EB

CoachRad
Apprentice

Using DDP 4 for a couple of months.  Today when I went to edit some photos the options for Picture Styles are locked out.  What did I do to cause that and how do I get the options back?  

windows 10

I have never noticed that. I do get an entry that says "Shot settings" with no option to change when I open a JPEG in DPP.

What kind of file is it? Can you post the file in Dropbox or One Drive?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements