cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon M6 Mark 1 - Power-down issue

d_tol
Contributor
Hi all,

I have a Canon M6 and have noticed an issue when switching it off using the ON/OFF switch.

When I switch the camera off the screen remains on but with nothing displayed. I cannot switch the camera on unless I remove the battery or wait about 30 seconds.

This does not appear to happen with the 15-45 Kit Lens that came with the camera, but it started doing it with an older Sigma 18-250 with a Vello EF/EF-S adapter.

The camera and adapter are 1.5 years old. I have not nocked or dropped any component and am very careful with them.

Any suggestions?
5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Sounds like either the adapter or the lens could be bad.  Try the adapter without the lens.  

Also, the camera may be trying to write to the memory card.  Or, it could be trying to retract the lens when you turn off the camera, which is a setting that you should be able to disable if you want.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

d_tol
Contributor
Thanks for your reply.

The lens is an older loaner and is not in tip-top shape. I suspect it might have to do with the shutter not being told to reset at shut-down.

I've just followed your advise and am almost sure it's the lens that is failing to communicate with the camera at shut-down.

It's not unworkable but is an inconvenience as it leaves me with 2 working options: either keep the camera on when looking for a shot, or patiently wait until it decides it wants to switch on.

@d_tol wrote:
Thanks for your reply.

The lens is an older loaner and is not in tip-top shape. I suspect it might have to do with the shutter not being told to reset at shut-down.

I've just followed your advise and am almost sure it's the lens that is failing to communicate with the camera at shut-down.

It's not unworkable but is an inconvenience as it leaves me with 2 working options: either keep the camera on when looking for a shot, or patiently wait until it decides it wants to switch on.

Read your instruction manual.  I am almost certain that because of the lens shutdown when the camera is shut off, that you need to turn off the camera whenever you change lenses!

Hello everybody!

I too have experience this problem.  I just bought an M6 mark 1, and I use only two lenses.  Keep in mind I do use a EF-M to EF mount.  I have a Tamron 10-24mm (the older one with no stabilization), and a sigma 24-105mm art lens (this has image stabilization).  When I have the tamron lens, the m6 powers on and off just like that - no problems.  I can not say the same for my sigma lens AT LEAST when I have image stabilization on.  When I turn that setting off on the lens, then my camera continues to turn off and on just fine.

TLDR: I have the same problem powering down and turning on, when I have image stabilization on my lens with the converter.

@jushjoshjosh wrote:

Hello everybody!

I too have experience this problem.  I just bought an M6 mark 1, and I use only two lenses.  Keep in mind I do use a EF-M to EF mount.  I have a Tamron 10-24mm (the older one with no stabilization), and a sigma 24-105mm art lens (this has image stabilization).  When I have the tamron lens, the m6 powers on and off just like that - no problems.  I can not say the same for my sigma lens AT LEAST when I have image stabilization on.  When I turn that setting off on the lens, then my camera continues to turn off and on just fine.

TLDR: I have the same problem powering down and turning on, when I have image stabilization on my lens with the converter.

You have a lens problem.  Nothing of the sort happens with Canon EF lenses.  You might want to play with the setting that controls retracting lenses on power down and power up.  But, first and foremost, you have a third party lens problem, not a Canon camera problem.

Announcements