cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon M50 with Magewell USB Capture HDMI?

CanonM50Newbie
Apprentice

Total newbie.  Trying to use Ecamm Live or Wirecast with M50.  Not working at all.  Doing searches, watching videos but still incredibly confused.

Magewell blue light is blinking ("Pulsing Slowly: the indicator light is pulsing slowly when there is no signal, or signals can't be locked or supported.").

Have connected with micro HDMI cable into Magewell, then USB into 2019 iMac.  Ecamm and Wirecast both show "No Signal", with colored lines.  Again, Magewell isn't recognizing it at all.

Have tried camera in manual and video mode.  M50 battery is charged.  Have shut off power saving features.

Just dead in the water.  May return the micro HDMI cable I bought yesterday at Best Buy and try another.  By the way, was the M50 supposed to come with that micro HDMI to HDMI cable included in the box?

If anyone has any tips please let me know.  I'm reading and watching instructional videos but getting nowhere so far.  Magewell is supposedly plug and play, but for me it's not.  Realizing I could be doing something very wrong.

Am a full time musician who is cramming to learn these things for Facebook Live.

Thank you.Screen Shot 2020-05-03 at 3.28.58 PM.png

7 REPLIES 7

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I have no advice for your Magewell device.  ???

You can test your M50 by connecting it directly to a television or computer monitor.  You should see everything that is normally displayed on the rear screen, including menus and photo/video playback.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you for the reply.  

I plugged the camera into a Roku TCL television with HDMI (don't think I own a computer monitor with HDMI input), got no picture, unfortunately.

FIguring, bad cable, bad M50, or me still screwing something up.

Keep it simple.  Record a video on the camera, or take a few photos.  You should be able to see them on the rear display.  If you connect the HDMI cable to the camera, then the rear LCD video is rerouted out to the HDMI port and your HDMI cable.

Thank you very much for the tips.

Battery just died in the camera.  Charging now.

I didn't buy a memory card.  Searching on it but confused if the camera can take a photo or video without optional memory card.

If you remember, will you please let me know if the Canon M50 was supposed to come with a micro HDMI to HDMI cable?  Not seeing it listed as coming with one from Canon but want to double check.

Cause it didn't and was sold as new but believe it was an "open box".  No plastic on the outside and inside it looked used.

Purchased a micro HDMI to HDMI cable separately.

thank you

Screen Shot 2020-05-04 at 9.41.10 AM.png

I am not familiar with the correct contents for Canon M50.  I do not work for Canon, either.  Many entry level camera bodies do not come with cables,  When they do, it is usually just the USB cable to connect to.a computer for downloading files.

You should install a mmory card in your camera.  Install a full size SD card.  The micro-SD cards that need the plastic adapter to make them full size are very unreliable.  

Mr_Scary
Contributor

Have you turned on HDMI output within the camera settings? 

Setup >> screen 3 >> at the bottom >> 2 last ones.

HDMI resolution set to (AUTO)

HDMI HDR output (ON)

Hope this helps. 

Also make sure you use a 2.0a/b HDMI cable for best result.

Also try OBS Studio it's free and the most used for live streaming, I also do facebook live as well as youtube and twitch. 

Does the magwell show up in your software selection when choosing a video capture device? 

Also you can use the EOS M50 with a micro usb cable as a webcam, however it will not be as smooth as using an HDMI capture card PCIe, or USB3.0

EOS M50 / M15-45 / M55-200 / Vixia HF-M30
6950X / X99 / RTX 2080 XC2 Ultra / Win 10 Pro
Announcements