cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon M50 video file unplayable when downloaded to my PC but can play on the camera

Diego_Gillespie
Apprentice

I have used 3 EOS cameras and love the M50. It worked well till now (2 weeks ago). I was hired to video a concert. All appeared normal and I made 4 ten minute clips. They play in the camera playback mode but have AVI extentions and cannot download to my PC. Please help. Thank You -Jim G

There is a warning that       "This file isn't playable. That might be because the file type is unsupported, the file extension is incorrect, or the file is corrupt."

4 REPLIES 4

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

What software are you using to try to play the files? How are you downloading the files to your PC? You might try downloading and installing a free copy Media Player Classic or VLC Media Player. They tend to open and play just about any video file you throw at them.

Surely Canon must offer some software that should play any of their video files, but it may offer only limited editing tools.

Thank you for your fast reply. I found I could not drag and drop these video files by USB like I do with my older cameras functioning as an external hard drive. I had not needed the EOS software before but this time it was necessary and worked well. And thanks for responding in a helpful way to us newbies. -Jim

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

"They play in the camera playback mode but have AVI extentions and cannot download to my PC. Please help."

Are you attempting to play the video files while they are still stored on the memory card in the camera?  No, that does not work because the camera will not permit free access to the files.  I suggest using a card reader to copy the files to your PC.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you for replying to this newbie, Waddizzle. I was able to view the video files on the LCD screen so I had some hope. Then I used the EOS Utility and successfully downloaded the video files. I hadn't needed that when downloading from my T1i and T6i. All is good now and thank you for the time you took to think about my problem. -Jim
Announcements