cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon M50 - Canon 50MM STM LENSE SWITCH AF/MF QUERY

cclph
Apprentice
Hi everyone!

I just purchased a Canon 50mm STM lens and I would like to know if I need to switch the lens to MF indicator when shooting in manual focus mode or should I just leave it on AF then just change the settings on my camera to manual focus? (Please forgive me, I am new to this).

I am a bit concerned about damaging the lens or the camera itself.

Thank you guys in advance!
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

I think the simple solution is to switch the lens to MF.  

Be aware that all STM lenses are "focus by wire".  This means the focus ring is not mechanically connected to the internal lens elements.  The focus ring sends electronic control signals to the focusing motors.  If the metering is not active, then the focus ring will not do anything.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

No, if you switch the lens to MF then the camera will automatically turn off AF.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

*Which* 50mm lens?

cclph
Apprentice
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM lens

I think the simple solution is to switch the lens to MF.  

Be aware that all STM lenses are "focus by wire".  This means the focus ring is not mechanically connected to the internal lens elements.  The focus ring sends electronic control signals to the focusing motors.  If the metering is not active, then the focus ring will not do anything.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

cclph
Apprentice
Do I need to change anything in the camera settings?

No, if you switch the lens to MF then the camera will automatically turn off AF.

cclph
Apprentice
Thank you so much! I appreciate your help.
Announcements