cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS20D

DianaS
Apprentice

I have my Canon Zoom Lens, EF 70-200mm !.2.8 L IS USM on the camera and when I try to take a picture the camera tries to focus and seems to pulse between focusing and unfocusing.  Haven't had that problem before.  Does anyone know how to fix this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi. 

No there should be a switch with 2 or 3 settings that are something like distance ranges. 2.5 M to infinity, etc. I don't have the camera here and I'm at work.  It limits the distances at which the camera will focus. One of the settings keeps it from focusing at close things so if you are shooting planes at an air show but people are walking in front of you, the camera doesn't totally lose focus on the far away planes and try to drill down on some spectator's head every time one passes through the frame. 

A couple of times that switch has been set that way and I forget that the next time I use the lens, and the lens seems to be having a focus malfunction.  

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

ScottyP
Authority
  1. Check the focus limiter switch on the lens. If it gets bumped without you knowing it prevents the camera from focusing on close things, which can be confusing.  
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

DianaS
Apprentice

Do you mean the AF, auto focus, vs MF, manual focus?  I did check those and both are on AF

Hi. 

No there should be a switch with 2 or 3 settings that are something like distance ranges. 2.5 M to infinity, etc. I don't have the camera here and I'm at work.  It limits the distances at which the camera will focus. One of the settings keeps it from focusing at close things so if you are shooting planes at an air show but people are walking in front of you, the camera doesn't totally lose focus on the far away planes and try to drill down on some spectator's head every time one passes through the frame. 

A couple of times that switch has been set that way and I forget that the next time I use the lens, and the lens seems to be having a focus malfunction.  

Scott

Announcements