cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS to old Minolta adapter?

nizzlefish98
Apprentice

Recently bought a Canon 700D (T5i) along with its kit lens.  But I also have a few lenses lying around from an old Minolta Maxxum 7000.  I have little 50mm f1.7 AF lens and was wondering if it is possible to mount it onto an EOS mount.  Apologies for any mistakes, noob here

.20151203_183410.jpg

8 REPLIES 8

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Google Minolta EOS lens adapter

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Would this work? As from what I read, the Maxxum 7000 shares the same A mount as Sony.

Sony A Lens to Canon EF-S

Looks like it will, but I would call and talk to someone before purchasing. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

@nizzlefish98 wrote:

Would this work? As from what I read, the Maxxum 7000 shares the same A mount as Sony.

Sony A Lens to Canon EF-S

Yes that will adapt the lens to your EOS camera. However, note that that adapter has a lens element in it. This means you are putting a piece of optics of unknown quality in the mix. Additionally you will have to manually focus the lens, and THEN manually stop down the aperture.

With the EF 50mm f/1.8 STM lens, you can choose to use it either in auto-focus mode, or manual focus. The aperture will stay fully open until you are ready to take the photo (ensuring a bright viewfinder image) and then automatically stop down and reopen when you take the photo.

While you can manually focus a lens on your dSLR and I often do with when shooting birds through branches, keep in mind you won't have a split prism focus aid. 

As you noted your old Minolta lens can be used on Sony A mount cameras so it still has value (~$25) on the used market if you choose to sell it.

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@nizzlefish98 wrote:

Recently bought a Canon 700D (T5i) along with its kit lens.  But I also have a few lenses lying around from an old Minolta Maxxum 7000.  I have little 50mm f1.7 AF lens and was wondering if it is possible to mount it onto an EOS mount.  Apologies for any mistakes, noob here

Computerized design and manufacturing has caused a substantial increase in image quality from lenses in recent years. You are much better off selling that old Minolta lens, and buying a new EF 50mm f/1.8 STM ($125) instead.

And that is all before you take into account the Minolta lens won't autofocus and likely you'll have some sort of work around to get the aperture to stop down.

FWIW, I have several old Olympus OM lenses, which are some of the most compatible lenses. But, when I took into account the cost of the adapter and the performance limitations I never bought adapters for them.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Computerized design and manufacturing has caused a substantial increase in image quality from lenses in recent years. You are much better off selling that old Minolta lens, and buying a new EF 50mm f/1.8 STM ($125) instead."

Heed this advice!  It is spot on.  Those old film lenses are a part of history and they need to stay there.  It is not worth the effort.  Time or money.  Especially on a relatively inexpensive lens like a 50mm f1.8.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

" But I also have a few lenses lying around from an old Minolta Maxxum 7000."

Maybe its worth $60 to him to try it.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

"Maybe its worth $60 to him to try it"

Maybe it is, John, who knows?  But like Mr. Martin so astutely pointed out, add another $60 and get a better lens that is designed for his camera. 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements