cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS Utility downloading issues with 7D mk2

Dweeb
Contributor
Hi All, I got a 7D mk2 2 weeks ago and I am having issues with downloading images to my PC Win 7 SP1 64bit, latest updates fresh reinstall when using the EOS Utility, (latest version) when it starts downloading pictures it stops at 175 or similar number and sits there either forever, or for a long time and then it continues and then stops the transfer again. Sometime it finishes and completes the download, sometime it just closes down (utility). (as it did now, just stopped and closed, downloaded 1178 out of 2889 pictures. 7D is on latest firmware. CF 64GB Lexar Professional 1066x UDMA7 I have disabled AntiVirus (its not my PC hardware issue performance wise) also all other software and hardware (scanners, printers...etc.) work fine. Any ideas why this is occurring ? or how to fix it ? thanks
12 REPLIES 12

Ya, 2800+ pictures is a lot, I know.  I was at a car racing event, and well at 10fps shooting, it adds up very fast.

The funny thing is that my other camera has no issues using the utility.  Mind you I never have more that a couple hundered pics on it at any give time.

I just like the way it organizes the pictures in folders...etc. for me. I plugin the camera, and walkaway, when I comeback all is dowloaded and seperated in different folders based on days.

oh well, guess manual work is in my forseeable future. 

TCampbell wrote: 
... So far as I can tell... Lightroom wont let me touch the images until the entire import process is finished...

Sure it will. Just try it!

You also can set up Lightroom to "watch" a particular folder for new images and even to automatically Import them, creating folders as need, saving copies, changing file names, adding copyright info and such.

I don't do this because I don't use LR for downloads. I just drag and drop, then Import into LR from the folder I created for the images.

I shot nearly 3000 images at an event last Sunday (it was a short day... only about 6 hours... some days I shoot upwards of 5000).

Anyway, six 16GB CompactFlash cards full. Each takes about 15 minutes to copy files off it, so ended up a couple hours work downloading, Importing, sorting and then renaming them. (I prefer to do these things "hands-on"). I was already editing some fo the first images while the downloads and Importing were being done in the background.

Then the "real work" started, going through all 3000 making selections, doing minor adjustments, crops/straightening, and then making watermarked proof copies. I've been at it for 3 full days and will probably need most of today to wrap it up.

My original 7Ds "only" shoot at 8 fps... but one of the problem with high frame rates is all the post-processing work it makes for, after the fact!

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & EXPOSUREMANAGER 

Gadgetmandb
Contributor
Remove the WiFi card & hey presto it works
Announcements