cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS RP - Video Shutter speed in non-Video mode

malmedia
Apprentice

When I am in Video mode on the dial and I click to record, I can change the Shutter Speed. When I am in other modes, M, C1, etc.. and I start recording video I don't get a Shutter Speed option. If I am in a non-Video, say C1, and I want to be at 24FPS at 50FPS, how do I make sure that is the case? Is the only way to do that it chane the shutter speed in stills mode and then click the record button?

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@malmedia wrote:

When I am in Video mode on the dial and I click to record, I can change the Shutter Speed. When I am in other modes, M, C1, etc.. and I start recording video I don't get a Shutter Speed option. If I am in a non-Video, say C1, and I want to be at 24FPS at 50FPS, how do I make sure that is the case? Is the only way to do that it chane the shutter speed in stills mode and then click the record button?

First and foremost, if you do not have a copy of the Advanced User Manual, then you can download it from Canon Support on the page for your specific model of camera.  It is apparent to me that you have adjusted settings to the point that has left you confused.

This is how to set movie roecording for auto exposure 

60AC47B8-0FEC-400B-8A17-5F62DDDCABC9.jpeg

This is how to set movie recording for full manual exposure.

833CA747-4996-4473-8B5D-442C4CC90AE5.jpeg

The "Movie Recording Button" that is located on the top of the camera is used primarily for video snapshots and time lapse movies.  It may Start/Stop recording in P, Av, Tv, or M modes, as well,   If so, then that is an undocumented feature.  

No one can explain the behaviors you are experiencing in the C modes except you, because they are custom shooting modes that you have created and saved.  We have no idea what settings you have configured, and apparently you may not know, either.

I am going to suggest that you reset the camera back to factory defaults, which is a known camera state.  The Advanced User Manual assumes that the camera settings are in this state. You will probably need to be in one of the Creative shooting modes to reset the camera.  You will also want to reset Custom Functions, and eventually redefine your Custom Shooting modes. 

Please excuse this blunt assessment of your circumstances, but I cannot think of a better answer.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

So I guess this means if I am trying to enforce "The 180° Shutter Rule", it is only possible in Manual Video mode.

@malmedia wrote:

So I guess this means if I am trying to enforce "The 180° Shutter Rule", it is only possible in Manual Video mode.

If you are referring to the advice to set shutter speed to be roughy twice the frame rate, then calling it a rule would be overstating the case.  Wikipedia has a pretty good explanation of shutter angle, which is what you appear to be referencing.  There is no "rule" that says you must use specific shutter speeds at specific video frame rates.  Changing the shutter angle will create different cinematic effects.  

For example, the beach landing scene at the start of "Saving Private Ryan" is a textbook example of not using a 180 degree shutter angle.  The advantage of using a 180 degree shutter angle is the amount of motion blur that it captures looks natural to the human eye on playback.  They used a VERY fast shutter speed for the beach landing scenes, which captured no motion blur and created the choppy looking final visuals.

One would suspect that using fully automatic exposure would cause the camera to use a shutter speed equivalent to a 180 degree shutter angle.  Test it to find out.  However, you are correct to conclude that the only to be sure of the exposure is to use Manual Video Mode, as outlined above.  The Advanced User Manual seems to suggest that you can use the other Creative modes, like Av or Tv, to record video, too.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

chrisbush2001
Apprentice

I experimented with this.  I do a lot of video work and always found myself on manual mode (photo) forgetting to turn the dial and clicking the video button.

Long story short I took a video in video manual mode and set it up so that at the 180 shutter angle rule 1/50th sec for 25fps the footage would be overexposed at ISO 100.

I then turned the dial back to manual mode (photo) and clicked the button with the same settings in my settings and the video was properly exposed: meaning that the video button uses auto settings and thus auto adjusts shutter speed to maintain exposure.  I would also note that I did this test on a full manual lens so that aperture adjustment was not a factor.

Funny that they don’t have this set to follow the same settings you have set in your video settings.  Would be super helpful not having to flip the dial back and forth every time I want to go between video and photo on one system 

Keep in mind that if you let the camera choose the shutter for video, motion blur effects from scene to scene will be different.  When applying the 180º rule and you then need to make exposure adjustments, you can adjust the aperture and/or ISO.  Or, even use ND filters if you find the image overexposed.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers
Announcements