cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS RP Banding Issue

devdvr
Apprentice

New owner of the RP but not sure of this camera because of the horrible banding. 

I'm a night photograhper so all my images are pretty much dark but properly exposed.

I'm getting banding without even pushing the shadows or the night sky, and when I do push them the image is becomes usless.

Will there be a firmware fix for this like the one the EOS R received?

10 REPLIES 10

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

We can't see what you are seeing.  Some images of this "banding" might be helpful.  Not saying the community can solve your problem, but at least we'll see what you are describing.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

devdvr
Apprentice

Banding.jpg

I raised it 3 stops to show it easier. But shows up in all my stylized edits.

[post edited to include photo found at link]

Nice foto!

Love Canon 80d

Don't know much about it so this may not apply, but I have read that the way focus pixels are embedded in mirror-less sensors can cause banding in some situations.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
Raising exposure by three stops can cause banding. The most common cause for banding is too much editing.

Are you editing RAW or JPG files?
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

This is RAW. I only raised it 3 stops to show it easier. It starts to show up at less then 1 stop raised aswell. Also shows up really well in foggy night pics without any editing and correctly exposed. 

Either way even compared to my 77D  i've never seen anything like this with any of my pictures or same presets.

I guess the RP can't handle what the 77D can do.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Should I be looking at the night shot of the house? Using a cell phone I do not see any banding.

Links are discouraged, with some exceptions. Did you know that you can post images in the forum?  [We took care of it!]

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

devdvr
Apprentice
Thanks for the info. Aside from this problem I’m loving everything else about this camera. This pic was taken with the new RF 24-105 lens which is just 👌

I have the same issues when doing sunrises and sunsets. Spoke to someone last evening whose experience is testing various cameras from various manufacturers. He told me about the banding issue on the rp before I asked about it. I guess the sensor is not the best in canons line and cannot be corrected with firmware.  Wish I knew that before I bought the camera but I still really like it otherwise. I remove the banding as best as I can in photoshop

Announcements