Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

Canon EOS RP Banding Issue

New owner of the RP but not sure of this camera because of the horrible banding. 

I'm a night photograhper so all my images are pretty much dark but properly exposed.

I'm getting banding without even pushing the shadows or the night sky, and when I do push them the image is becomes usless.

Will there be a firmware fix for this like the one the EOS R received?

Highlighted
Reputable Contributor

Re: Canon EOS RP Banding Issue

We can't see what you are seeing.  Some images of this "banding" might be helpful.  Not saying the community can solve your problem, but at least we'll see what you are describing.

Rick
Bay Area - CA
~6D2 (f/w 1.0.4) ~16-35mm f2.8L II, 50 f1.8 STM, 85 prime USM, 70-200 f2.8L IS II ~70-300 USM II ~Sigma 24-70 f2.8 Art (f/w 2.02)
~Sigma 150-600 C + TC1401 1.4x (f/w 2.00) ~Speedlite 430 EX II ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~Windows10 Pro1903 ~nVidia GPU
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Banding.jpg

I raised it 3 stops to show it easier. But shows up in all my stylized edits.

[post edited to include photo found at link]

Honored Contributor

Raising exposure by three stops can cause banding. The most common cause for banding is too much editing.

Are you editing RAW or JPG files?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is RAW. I only raised it 3 stops to show it easier. It starts to show up at less then 1 stop raised aswell. Also shows up really well in foggy night pics without any editing and correctly exposed. 

Either way even compared to my 77D  i've never seen anything like this with any of my pictures or same presets.

I guess the RP can't handle what the 77D can do.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Should I be looking at the night shot of the house? Using a cell phone I do not see any banding.

Links are discouraged, with some exceptions. Did you know that you can post images in the forum?  [We took care of it!]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
New Contributor

Nice foto!

Love Canon 80d
Frequent Contributor

Don't know much about it so this may not apply, but I have read that the way focus pixels are embedded in mirror-less sensors can cause banding in some situations.

New Contributor

Thanks for the info. Aside from this problem I’m loving everything else about this camera. This pic was taken with the new RF 24-105 lens which is just 👌