cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS R5 file numbering system

Sadie1
Enthusiast

Hello - I have been shooting Canon cameras since the mid '80's.    Recently I had to return the EOS R5 due to it being defective.     A replacement order was placed.     I received the replacement order Tuesday at noon on 11/10/20.     I noticed tonight the following:

R5 file numbering started out as _13A0000

R6 file numbering started out as _V8A0000

The replacement R5 file numbering started out as _C6A8000

This leads me to believe that the replacement R5 is not brand new.     Please advise because I am quite concerned that I paid full price for an used camera.

Thank you

14 REPLIES 14

Put the card in a card reader and edit the number of the last photo that you took to the number it should be (go to shutter count to get what the count actually is) . Put the card back in the camera and take a picture. It should be right. Let me know if it works. It works on Nikon camera.

Thank You.   The camera was new and not that many pics so I reformatted the card and reset the file number.    Appreciate your suggestion.  

Your welcome. Just in case it's a good idea to check the shutter on the camera. I always check the first shot just to make sure i did not get a used camera. Take care.

R. Bates

If you want to continuously track the number of images shot you can use the feature with your camera that allows you to create a custom file prefix.

Digital image files are an 8.3 pattern with eight characters for the file name and three for the file type.

The first four characters are camera specific and the last four are 0000 through 9999, the file count.

Once you hit 9999 images the counter rolls over to 0000.

With your camera you could create a custom prefix, say 1SD0 1 for camera 1, SD for Sadie and 0 to start.

When you roll over from 9999 change the prefix to 1SD1; then you will have 10000 to 10999. Repeat each roll over.

If you have more than one camera where you can do this then it would be 2SDX, 3SDX, etc.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thank You.    

Announcements